Moody 336 Possible problem with hull in bilge area moody 336 bilge keel

A

Andrew Hesketh

HI Guys
I have seen a moody 336 which I want to buy but I have noticed a small crack inside the bilge area, it appears to have absorbed water over time and it seems to turn water pink that is laying there for some while.
Is this a problem anyone has seem before?
Could the pink dying of the water come from leeching from the core hull? does it even have core in this area of the hull?
Could it likely be pink mould?
Any thoughts?

Attachments

R

Roy Clare

HI Guys
I have seen a moody 336 which I want to buy but I have noticed a small crack inside the bilge area, it appears to have absorbed water over time and it seems to turn water pink that is laying there for some while.
Is this a problem anyone has seem before?
Could the pink dying of the water come from leeching from the core hull? does it even have core in this area of the hull?
Could it likely be pink mould?
Any thoughts?
Hi Andrew, it may only be a crack in the flo-coat, but based on my experience I would insist on a full explanation and a detailed investigation. Depending on the keel configuration and where the crack is located in relation to the keel(s), it may be evidence of damage post-grounding. If in doubt, walk away. I didn't ... and it cost me. Ultimately, my boat was properly repaired and is now 100%, but I learned quite a bit along the way! Roy

A

Andrew Hesketh

Hi Andrew, it may only be a crack in the flo-coat, but based on my experience I would insist on a full explanation and a detailed investigation. Depending on the keel configuration and where the crack is located in relation to the keel(s), it may be evidence of damage post-grounding. If in doubt, walk away. I didn't ... and it cost me. Ultimately, my boat was properly repaired and is now 100%, but I learned quite a bit along the way! Roy
Thank you Roy, do you know if the hulls have a core or if they are solid Fibreglass?

A

Andrew Hesketh

Thank you Roy, good to know, your boat is the same range as the 336 so I imagine the hull is the same construction, which would lead me to believe that the pink substance is coming from somewhere else in this case.

R

Roy Clare

Thank you Roy, good to know, your boat is the same range as the 336 so I imagine the hull is the same construction, which would lead me to believe that the pink substance is coming from somewhere else in this case.
Hi Andrew, you're probably already aware, but my understanding is that it is difficult to gain access to the keel bolts on bilge keel Moodys because they are located underneath the water tanks.
There has been at least one documented example of a catastrophic failure of a bilge keel in a Moody in the past year. Whether or not that was attributed to post-grounding damage I do not know, but I would just rehearse my advice to proceed carefully.
If it were me, based on recent experience with a fin keel Moody, I would insist on inspecting the keel bolts before agreeing to buy (or I'd like to see incontrovertible (photographic) evidence that such an inspection has taken place within very recent times).
My reason for circumspection is that if the keel bolts are indeed underneath the water tanks then it is a most likely assumption that they haven't been inspected since build. At the age of the fleet, every boat is therefore about due to have the benefit of investment in a full check.
That all said, the anecdotal evidence via this forum is that the majority of inspections seem to show that the studs in boats that have not suffered damage from grounding or other incident are free of corrosion and in good order (the boats were after all well-built). But none of us knows what adventures a boat has had under previous owners .... !
What price peace of mind?
Good luck,
Roy

Barry Voysey

Barry Voysey
Boat name
LIONA
Berth
Birdham Pool
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Solent
We have a bilge keel 336. I presume your picture is taken in the bilge adjacent/between galley and chart table, so is central. Our bilge is usually dry. You will only be able to see the aftermost keel bolts as the others are under the water tanks. I'll take a look at that part of my bilge on Sunday but I don't recall any issues.

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Andrew,

All Moodys up to the Moody 44 have solid grp hulls with cored framing (floors, frames and sometimes stringers). I don't know what material was used to core the framing. Bulkheads and part bulkheads are marine ply, both bonded and bolted in place. In common with most grp yachts, the decks are end grain balsa cored grp with marine ply core in way of deck fittings, so look closely at deck fittings added by previous owners to see whether the core was properly protected when drilling the bolt holes.

I agree with Roy, that the crack may well be just in the flow coat, but it could be much more serious - unless you're a marine professional, get a survey done before parting with money.

Pink anywhere near the engine may well be antifreeze check under the heat exchanger filler cap to see what colour antifreeze the engine has. Many marine engines don't have an expansion tank, so overflow as the engine heats up goes into the bilge.

Peter

p.s. I wrote this yesterday, but obviously forgot to click "post reply". Sorry! P.

Peter.

John Spink

John Spink
Boat name
JOHN SPINK
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
South Coast
Having just purchased a 336 Bilge last month I removed the water tanks on both port and starboard side to inspect the keel boats. It was a surprisingly easy job to remove them both . Only then you can inspect all the bolts.
John

John Wilkinson

John Wilkinson
Boat name
MARQUESAS
Berth
Beaumaris, Anglesey
Boat type
Moody 29
Cruising area
Anglesey and Irish Sea
Hi - I need to also do this inspection - the visible ones to the reat of the tanks were surface corroded but cleaned up ok. Any tips on removal and replacement of the tanks?

John Spink

John Spink
Boat name
JOHN SPINK
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
South Coast
Hi - You need to remove the wooden braces with a screwdriver over the tanks and then remove the wooden brackets at both ends. That part might envolve removing rusted screws. Remove the pipes at both ends and the tanks should just come out. You can then get at the all the Keel bolts.
I didn't need to replace my tanks as they seem fine. My concern was the bilge Keel.