Moody 38 (90s) Pre-purchase advise required

• Thread starter Fazil Ergen
  • Start date
F

Fazil Ergen

Dear All,

I will visit first time a Moody 38 (1993/1994) for viewing her before making an offer. I would be appreciated to receiving your comments and advise on which points that I have to pay attention as well as pros/cons of this model.

My specific concerns are:
1) Fuel tank (steel) and Water tank (aluminum) are not in stainless steel and consequently potential risk of corrosion due to their ages of 28 yrs. What cost and complexity if they should be replaced with the new ones in st. steel material preferably, if feasible.
2) Keel fixation (studs and nuts) as well as keel-hull joint? From the pictures of the hull (antifouled) attached you can see partial short lines and also little space in some areas in between the hull and keel joint, which are not covered by the antifouling paint. Is it really an issue to worry?
3) The deck is balsa core sandwich and consequences? No idea about hull construction whether balsa or not?
4) Condition and reliability of aged in-mast furling system and whether costly if to be replaced?
5) Condition of the sealing of the plates around the shroud chain plates and also where the chain plates and the part bulkheads to which they are bolted?

Are all mentioned above possible to detect by the surveyor, who will carry on pre-purchase inspection, if purchase process commence.

Thank you for your time and reply in advance.

Kind regards,
Fazil Ergen

Attachments

• 90CB8479-618B-4F25-8D4A-F146C077EE38.jpeg
    90CB8479-618B-4F25-8D4A-F146C077EE38.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 2A9F0C34-7FF2-4BBB-B30F-BF3FBD8D6C9E.jpeg
    2A9F0C34-7FF2-4BBB-B30F-BF3FBD8D6C9E.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 162
Back