Moody 36 (80s) Primrose vs Dixon

I am in the early stages of looking for a boat and there are 2 Moody's that interest me, both centre cockpit 36's. I have a friend with a Moody 33 and I have always been puzzled by the recess in the foredeck (where the windlass is located on my friends boat) and this is also a feature on the 36 for which I can't quite work out the purpose. Clearly, later boats by Bill Dixon dropped this so why was it there?

I read somewhere that Angus Primrose liked the security of having a "bow cockpit", particularly for families with less experience, which was considered safer to work from either anchoring/mooring or changing sails (remember that furling headsails were a more recent addition).

Customers now prefer to have clear foredecks with anchors etc stowed in lockers below deck.

Paul

You won't believe this - I didn't until I had unwanted practical experience and hearsay.
The 33 mk1 has a fulcrum just aft of the mast. The hearsay was that if you put bath plugs in the drain holes in the recess and filled the area with water, then the stern tube and prop would lift out off the water and allow the stuffing box to have its' 'stuffing' changed without the need for slipping or drying out. I have done this I think at a Moody Rally with a lot of friends crammed in the cockpit instead of plugs and water.
The unwanted bit?
Telephone call from the yard - 'Country Girl' is down at the nose - can we break in and pump her out?
After discussion, she had gone nose down so far but no further - what was going on?
The source of the leak was the failure through electrolysis of two bolts that attached the stern tube to the hull allowing the fitting to spring apart. As the boat slowly filled, the water went through the internal drain holes and putting her down by the nose until the stern tube cleared and the ingress stopped.
I have just found the original thread - note the date.

Always an answer somewhere for most things.
Alan K
p.s. I can't speak for the 36

Back