1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a reminder that you MUST provide contact details if you post a For Sale or Wanted notice. The reason is that non members have access to read your advert, but can't post, so if you don't provide details, they can't contact you to buy or sell.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted Prop Puller (borrow)

Discussion in 'General For Sale / Wanted' started by Mike Neave, 1/11/16.

1. Mike Neave

Mike Neave Mike Neave

Boat name:
    GANNET
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Solent & South Coast
    Has anyone got a prop puller I could borrow ?

Need to remove the prop over winter and it's being stubborn

Happy to collect and return from Solent area (Portsmouth/Southampton etc) and would provide beer money

TIA
    MIke Neave

2. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
  3. Mike Neave

Mike Neave Mike Neave

Boat name:
    GANNET
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Solent & South Coast
    Pete
    Thanks, will give you a call Friday when I am back in country to discuss

Rgds Mike

4. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
  5. Mike Neave

Mike Neave Mike Neave

Boat name:
    GANNET
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Solent & South Coast
    Well spotted

I have Pm them as that's a bargain

If if does not work out I will be back in touch

Rgds
    mike

6. David Longhurst

David Longhurst David Longhurst

Boat name:
    STOLEN MOMENTS
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Mike

Here is how I get the prop off my M346.

I use the largest of the 3 leg gear pullers in the Machine Mart set - see https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht270-3-pce-gear-puller-set/

Und the nut at the end of the prop shaft, but do not take it off - I undo mine until its just starting to come off the shaft - this provides a small recess to fit the centre of the gear puller.

Put on gear puller and tighten up as much as you can - its quite likely, as the prop is on a locking taper, that it still wont budge.

Apply gentle heat to the prop hub - I use a blowlamp, but a paint stripping gun might do. I also wrap the P bracket and prop shaft in a wet towel to keep it cool and to protect the cutlass bearing.

There is quite a lot of thermal inertia in the prop, so it takes a few minutes to warm up. I find that after a few minutes of heat from the blowlamp you hear a gentle 'ping' as the expansion of the prop breaks the taper and the pressure from the gear puller pulls it back against the nut. Its likely that as the prop releases the gear puller will fall off.

Let it cool a bit, take off nut on end of shaft and remove prop - and catch the key which is set into the shaft to stop the prop from rotating as the prop comes off.

Hope this is helpful

David

7. Mike Neave

Mike Neave Mike Neave

Boat name:
    GANNET
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Solent & South Coast
    Pete
    Now the owner of a Heavy Duty Puller which should do the Job Nicely, Thanks for the tip off

David yes that's how I have had it off before I also find that after Warming it up with a heat gun a Kettle of Boiling Water helps

Rgds Mike