Moody 46 Q 2 of 3 - Engine Re-power

Ryan And Bonnie Johnson

Temporary Member
Greetings. We are considering placing an offer on a 1998 Moody 46. She has the original Hood mainsail which is reported to be in good condition on a Selden in-mast furller.

If we purchase her, we will be doing a transatlantic crossing from the UK back to the US in the next year or two which may warrant replacing the main.

Anyone have a recommended sail for blue water cruising (not racing) and an estimated cost so we can build it into our budget?

Cheers!

And the subject should be:

Q 2 of 3 - Mainsail​

I stand ready for any and all ridicule
No ridicule, just to point out that you can use the edit facility to sort out mistakes.

Peter.

And the subject should be:

Q 2 of 3 - Mainsail​

I stand ready for any and all ridicule
Greetings. We are considering placing an offer on a 1998 Moody 46. She has the original Hood mainsail which is reported to be in good condition on a Selden in-mast furller.

If we purchase her, we will be doing a transatlantic crossing from the UK back to the US in the next year or two which may warrant replacing the main.

Anyone have a recommended sail for blue water cruising (not racing) and an estimated cost so we can build it into our budget?

Cheers!
Hi,

Without seeing the sail it's hard to comment on whether it needs replacing, but a stretched sail is much more prone to jamming in in-mast furling systems, something you don't want half way across the pond. I always believe it's best to use a sailmaker with a good reputation who will give you an hour or so of his time to discuss your needs and visit your boat to measure up before cutting cloth. Given that , it's probably best to find a good sailmaker not too far from where your boat is.

I have used John Parker of Parker & Kay Onesails for 40 years now and never been disappointed. He's based at Suffolk Yacht Harbour on the East Coast, but has been known to visit a Moody in Pembroke Dock to measure up for a new suit of sails. I guess, if you're on the south coast, the measuring would be managed by John's business partner, Peter Kay, from his loft at Hamble Point.

Peter.

No ridicule, just to point out that you can use the edit facility to sort out mistakes.

Peter.
I’d love to, and I consider myself better than average on the tech literacy scale, but as a noobie to the board and on a limited account, I sadly can't find the edit post button. And pointers are welcome and I’ll happily fix my subject.

Cheers!

Hi,

Without seeing the sail it's hard to comment on whether it needs replacing, but a stretched sail is much more prone to jamming in in-mast furling systems, something you don't want half way across the pond. I always believe it's best to use a sailmaker with a good reputation who will give you an hour or so of his time to discuss your needs and visit your boat to measure up before cutting cloth. Given that , it's probably best to find a good sailmaker not too far from where your boat is.

I have used John Parker of Parker & Kay Onesails for 40 years now and never been disappointed. He's based at Suffolk Yacht Harbour on the East Coast, but has been known to visit a Moody in Pembroke Dock to measure up for a new suit of sails. I guess, if you're on the south coast, the measuring would be managed by John's business partner, Peter Kay, from his loft at Hamble Point.

Peter.
Great advice - thank you!

I’d love to, and I consider myself better than average on the tech literacy scale, but as a noobie to the board and on a limited account, I sadly can't find the edit post button. And pointers are welcome and I’ll happily fix my subject.

Cheers!
Hi Ryan,

On a smartphone, click the three dots under your post to get the more options list, the first of which is edit. If you're using a computer or tablet, the word edit under your post should work for you.

Peter.

Back