Moody 44 (90s) Q Following Viewing

Robert Johnson 2

Temporary Member
Hi, I've just viewed a 1993 Moody 44. In general a lovely boat, but I was concerned about the amount of water in the bilge; about an inch an a half of water in all bilge compartments, including around the engine. The broker has indicated that with this design of Moody, the drains for the lazarettes flow into the bilges, meaning that there's always water in there; this water contained a significant amount of rust, indicating that it had been there for some time, and I did bring myself to taste it - fresh. I did notice though that the panels I lifted to inspect the bilges had a significant amount of dried salt on the undersides. Also the keel boats were all showing significant external rust.

Does anyone have any experience of these boats who can comment on this? Are these boats susceptible to this amount of water being present?

Many thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Hi
We had the same problem when we picked up our new(1994) moody 44
We found that the pipe leading from the drain hole to the exit was split and water was just pouring in.
The drain holes also get blocked with dust n stuff.
We are in the process of fitting a cover over the top(before lid goes down ) so will see if that works
But no regrets they are excellent yachts and the bilges work as they should
Get a wet and dry vac …sorted

Hi,
Another source is the gas locker drain.

Also pipes from fresh water tanks.

Ian

I know of a M44 owner who has modified his lazarette drains with electric pumps to drain overboard.

Hi Robert
As you say, a lovely boat! I've had mine for 6 years now and she is fantastic.
Water could have come from numerous sources such as leaking windows/hatches or, as in the case of my boat, being left ashore with a hatch slightly open! If there is water under the engine I would look at the cockpit drains first I think.
I think fresh water from lazarettes is highly unlikely although they do drain into the main bilge but then along the shallow bilge areas under the aft heads and walk through on port side thence into the main bilge. Seems very unlikely water would get into the engine compartment.
Water does get into the lazarette lockers in heavy seas, but not much, I've never had rain water get in there. A previous owner blocked the drains from the lazarettes into the bilge and installed a small manual bilge pump in each locker. Very simple to empty but only rarely necessary.
The original keel bolts (studs actually) in all Moody's are mild steel, fixed with mild steel nuts and backing plates. If salt water is left in the bilge the nuts and backing plates will corrode and look awful but often the corrosion is fairly superficial. Many people have replaced their studs now and it's not a difficult job. Some use stainless replacements and some mild steel. There are pros and cons for both routes with the whole process written up comprehensively in the technical section of this website.
There could be several sources of salt water in the bilge that would cause deposits, almost all due to negligence of a previous owner. Highly likely is taking the log impellor out to clean it which will allow some salt water into the bilge. If it's not cleared out it will cause corrosion of keel studs and salt deposition around the bilge. I wouldn't be put off as there will be a simple solution. My bilge is generally dry!
Regards
Peter

Thank you Peter, if the survey gives a greenish light next week, I'll definitely be going ahead with the purchase and look forward to delving into the archives at the materials you suggest thank you.

Hi Robert, as well as considering everything suggested above there is a slight design fault with the plumbing of the M44 (well at least mine). The fresh water is pumped up to a pressure of 2.9 bar and also feeds the calorifier where the pressure release valve is at 3 bar. When the water is heated it expands and the pressure (due to a non-return valve) increases to above 3 bar and the fresh water simply drains to the bilge. This is my main cause of water in the bilge. I'm fitting an expansion tank this winter to rectify this issue.
The fridge also drains directly to the fridge.
Best regards
John

Hi John (and Robert)
Fitting an expansion tank will solve the problem of water from a PRV in the bilge. In fact best to get rid of it altogether, but leave the non return valve in place unless you want hot water in your cold system. I replaced the calorifier a couple of years ago and added an expansion tank under the aft head sink since when no water leak. For what it's worth I also increased calorifier size from the original 25L to 40L which makes a few days at anchor much more pleasant for showers.
This year I had to replace the fresh water pump and upgraded to one with a 4psi pressure. No problem with the water system whatsoever.
Re the fridge you should keep the drain hole plugged - apologies if I'm stating the obvious. You lose a huge amount of cold air through it meaning the compressor has to work far harder than necessary. A plug means colder beer and a dry bilge!
Regards
Peter

Back