1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality Of Moody 333 Hull And Resistance To Ageing And Moisture Ingress

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Denys Graham, 18/11/16.

1. Denys Graham

Denys Graham Denys Graham Registered Guest

I have recently withdrawn from the purchase of a well known and respected 32 ft sailing cruiser because of delaminations caused by moisture ingress. This was all in all an expensive process which I do not want to repeat.
    The Moody 333 has now come into my field of awareness , albeit a more expensive option.
    What is the reputation of these vessels vis a vis their hull endurance in comparison to say a Westerly of the 78 to 83 period

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Denys,
    You do not say what was delaminating.
    I'm not sure it is easy to generalise. I think with any boat the condition will really depend on how it has been used and maintained. Some very old boats are in excellent condition and others fairly new can show significant signs of neglect.
    In my experience take what brokers say with a very large pinch of salt and photos don't always tell the truth.
    There is no substitute for a personal visit to any boat you interested in to check condition. I think you need to do the mileage. I have even done a few air miles in the past looking for the right boat.
    If you are able, always try to make contact with he vendor to try to get to the history of the boat. Brokers can rarely answer probing questions.
    As far as comparing Moody with Westerly - this is a Moody web site visited by Moody owners ;)

Last edited: 18/11/16
  3. Denys Graham

Hi Jeff
    Thank you for the reply.
    The delaminations was in patches near the waterline and below at various places between the keels and the bows and stern. Moisture levels were high throughout at about 90 to 100 metre units on the moisture metre

4. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Hi Denys,

Ah, hull delamination rather than internals. That is certainly not nice.

I do not go sailing in the winter as I hate the cold. So I always have my M346 lifted ashore between November and March. Not only do I feel she is safer and available for any routine maintenance but the hull has a chance to dry out.
    The hull of my M346 was also epoxy coated years ago which also helps to keep out water as gelcoat is porous.
    So may I suggest you look for a boat with these advantages although it may add slightly to the value.

On the subject of delamination and osmosis, this is very rare in Moody yachts but I believe not uncommon in the older Westerly boats. I noticed this a few years ago when I was looking to buy a Westerly - some had been osmosis treated (which doesn't last for ever). Another feature of some Westerly boats is that the hulls of bilge keelers required reinforcing at the keel roots to reduce hull flexing. That doesn't mean that Westerly should be avoided but it might mean an older one in good condition is harder to find.
    I have far more confidence in finding a Moody in good condition but bearing in mind my comments in my first post..

5. Denys Graham

Thanx again, all very helpful will probably go for the 333 and join the association