Moody 40/42 (late 90s early 00s) Retrofit bowthruster

Liliane Foederer

Liliane Foederer
Registered Guest
I am looking at buying a Moody in the range 40-42 ft. Some of the boats available have a bowthruster fitted and some of them don't. I am inclined to dismiss those that do not have one fitted, however can anybody offer any advice on the safety of retrofitting bowthrusters, and an approximate cost of retrofitting one?

Thanks for you contribution.

David Crump

David Crump
Boat name
THEONYMPHUS
Berth
Sitges
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
Med
I am in the process of fitting one. Cost is about £1,800 to buy the bits and probably about the same to fit.
Hoping it is straightforward ask me in a couple of weeks.
Bow does tend to blow off when parking stern to in a x wind so I would recommend one depending on where you sail.

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Liliane,

No Moody of the size you are looking at was built with a bowthruster as original equipment, those which the first owner specified with a bow thruster would have been built without, then a bowthruster fitted before delivery. Any competent boatyard should be able to fit whatever bowthruster you choose, including beefing up the electrical system to cope with the high currents involved.

Peter.

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
General Committee
GC Support Team
MOA Position
Website Editor
Boat name
CUTAWAY
Berth
Vannes
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
Hi Lilliane,

Safety - no problem - these are very strong boats.

You don't actually need one since the saildrive has very little prop walk, but we have now fitted one after 15 years of ownership since our current marina berth is very tight. We don't really need it but it does reduce the tension and worry a little.

About £3k and well worth it.

Kindest

Neil

Liliane Foederer

Liliane Foederer
Registered Guest
Thank you very much for your responses.

I suppose the question becomes then, do I go for the boat that needs a bow thruster but has good (recently replaced) standing and running rigging or do I go for the boat with the bow thruster but still has the original standing and running rigging (early 2000's) which would have to be replaced.

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
General Committee
GC Support Team
MOA Position
Website Editor
Boat name
CUTAWAY
Berth
Vannes
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
Not too much difference in price, so my suggestion is to look at other factors. Condition of boat, engine hours, hull etc.

You don't need a bowthruster just yet!!!!!!!!

Kindest

Neil