Moody 31 MkII Rough sail and rigging costs?

Gus Dinn

Thank you for this opportunity to ask your members questions as a prospective Moody 31 MkII buyer, it's really helpful to me.

I'm about to put in an offer and one of the boats I'm considering needs quite a bit of work. Can anyone please tell me a rough cost to replace the following items? I appreciate it will only be a very rough estimate, but anything is helpful:

• Standing rigging
  • Running rigging
  • Furling genoa
  • Furling mainsail
Secondly, are there any specific areas of the boat I should pay particular attention to for this model on a viewing/survey?

Many thanks in advance!

Gus

New sails allow between £3-6k depending on spec and sail loft.
My fairly decent spec main + 110% genoa were £4k in 2018
Running rigging, 8mm braid is about £1.50/m, 30m needed per halyard so 150m + 50m for jib sheets, mainsheet and kicker = 200m or £300
Hopefully someone else can help with standing rigging cost. From what i know it will depend if you want them to do it all or whether you dismantle everything and take all of the old rigging to them to make up like for like replacements.

Sometimes it depends upon where you are as to what you have to pay for some things. We did an amazing deal with Crusader Sails in Poole a couple of years ago and this included giving them lots of time to finish the job without too much hassle. If you call them and discuss your needs, you can usually get a good price and with confidence in the product. Shopping around is a good approach before you agree a deal. I went to Crusader's place in Poole to see the folks there as Iike to know who I am dealing with if possible. I usually replace my own running rigging because I can do this part myself and avoid the unnecessary labour costs. You will need to do a bit of splicing and whipping though to keep it all nice and tidy

Make sure the deck doesnt have any give near the shroud caps. If the sealant hasnt been replaced water may have got in here and got into the core of the deck. its very difficult to remove the cabinetry enough inside to inspect the chainplates so you need to know these have been looked after well. Good choice of boat. We love ours.

For M31 standing rigging cost estimate, see Dick's post on the next thread.

Peter.

Sometimes it depends upon where you are as to what you have to pay for some things. We did an amazing deal with Crusader Sails in Poole a couple of years ago and this included giving them lots of time to finish the job without too much hassle. If you call them and discuss your needs, you can usually get a good price and with confidence in the product. Shopping around is a good approach before you agree a deal. I went to Crusader's place in Poole to see the folks there as Iike to know who I am dealing with if possible. I usually replace my own running rigging because I can do this part myself and avoid the unnecessary labour costs. You will need to do a bit of splicing and whipping though to keep it all nice and tidy
Great thanks Tim!

Make sure the deck doesnt have any give near the shroud caps. If the sealant hasnt been replaced water may have got in here and got into the core of the deck. its very difficult to remove the cabinetry enough inside to inspect the chainplates so you need to know these have been looked after well. Good choice of boat. We love ours.
Thanks Nigel, good advice.

Back