General Sail drive on Moody

Ian Henderson

Ian Henderson
Registered Guest
Could anyone comment on sail drives from the 80’s
I have avoided them like the plague in the past however in my dotage am considering buying a Moody that is everything I want but....,has sail drive

Thanks
Ian

Patrick Fleming

Patrick Fleming
Boat name
EUREKA
Berth
East Ferry, Cork Harbour, Ireland
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Ireland / Uk / France
Hi Ian,
Mine is a Volvo 120SD from the 90's but I believe would have been also used in the 80's.
It's 23 years old and still in very good condition.
The good things are little or no prop walk. Dry bilges as a result of not having a stuffing box on the shaft. No need to repack same.
Much quieter with very or no vibration and a more compact installation.
The engine alignment never needs to be checked and no cutlass bearing replacement required.
Downsides are having to replace the hull seal to keep the insurance companies happy. Mine was at least 11 yrs old but more than likely was 21 yrs. It was still perfect but Volvo say replacement every 7 yrs. I helped a friend recently replacing his one and it can be a DIY job.
The water inlet can get blocked up with mussels etc but many boats have fitted an inlet to the hull, bypassing the saildrive leg altogether.
The prop needs to be removed for the anode to be replaced. On the 130 model it can be replaced without removing the prop.
Boat has to be out of the water to drain the oil once a year.
The oil seals can leak leaving in water. Check oil to make sure its clear. Again mine are at least 11 yrs. old and still perfect.
I too was against them but now I'm happy to have one. Unfortunally you are almost left with no option nowadays as most yachts seem to have them.

Pat

Vivian Stait

Vivian Stait
Boat name
DRAGONFLY
Berth
Chichester Marina
Boat type
Moody AC 41 (Classic)
Cruising area
Solent
We have only ever had boats with a sail drive (two Volvo and one Yanmar) and have never experienced any problems. As Patrick says Volvo recommend replacing the main seal every 7 years, which we do for insurance purposes, but I have never heard of one catastrophically failing. Servicing is easy and prop walk is reduced.
Good luck with your decision .

Ian Henderson

Ian Henderson
Registered Guest
We have only ever had boats with a sail drive (two Volvo and one Yanmar) and have never experienced any problems. As Patrick says Volvo recommend replacing the main seal every 7 years, which we do for insurance purposes, but I have never heard of one catastrophically failing. Servicing is easy and prop walk is reduced.
Good luck with your decision .
Many thanks all for your helpful advice
Ian