Moody 336 Saloon seating

Philip Segaud

Philip Segaud
Registered Guest
Hi
I have recently looked at a moody 336 year 1989 . I take it that this is one of the early models ie the Mk1? My question is that the on the boat we looked at it was not possible le to slide between the U shape seat in the saloon and the folding table ! You could step into the gap when the leaf was down but then had to put your legs onto the seat to lift the leaf up!
This seemed odd and wondered what current owners experience getting into the U shape seeting area? Was this rectified in later models or in fact in the Mk2 version? Would appreciate your thoughts and experience of this odd arrangement.

Neil O'Connor

Neil O'Connor
Solent Branch Committee
Boat name
SHADOW
Berth
Haslar Marina
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Solent
Hi Philip

It's the same on the Mk II version. It's just something you get used to - it does make maximum use of the space available.

Regards

Neil

Philip Segaud

Philip Segaud
Registered Guest
Thank you for your reply Neil.
It seems a very odd design feature when you would have thought the leg uprights could have been moved closer together, opening the entry gap.

David Theobald

David Theobald
Boat name
WAVELENGTH
Berth
Portavadie
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Scotland West Coast
Mine is the same - obviously for nearly 30 years. I'm looking a modifying mine as I've just bought the boat and its on a To Do List! Not really a show stopper and I think Moody were trying to make the most of the space available.

Philip Segaud

Philip Segaud
Registered Guest
Thank you David for you comment. Always good to get a fresh pair of eyes on something that many owners must experience but accept or like you may modify. All the best with your new purchase.

James Macbeth

James Macbeth
Boat name
JOUSTER
Berth
Yarmouth
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Solent
Owned our M336 for 6 years and never noticed this problem before. The "U" side of the table is up all the time and we just slide around with ease. Not found any problem getting past the table base. It is possible I suppose that a previous owner has modified the shape or position of the swing-out table support but I'm not aware of this.

James Macbeth

James Macbeth
Boat name
JOUSTER
Berth
Yarmouth
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Solent
Hi Philip,
I'm on board now and on inspection I can see that a previous owner has indeed simply moved the position of the swing-out table support about four inches forward. Works a treat and never noticed the "mod" until now. You can see in the top picture where the support has been moved from.

20191013_111504.jpg

20191013_111622.jpg

I can understand that in the original position it would be less than helpful for swinging legs in. I hope this helps! Don't let it put you off the M336 which IMHO is an outstanding choice for this size of yacht.
James

Philip Segaud

Philip Segaud
Registered Guest
Thank you James for continuing to investigate , take pictures and through light on this . I do see the solution you outline and will look at this more closely going forward. I appreciate all the contributions given .