Moody 346 Seacocks.

• Thread starter Jenny Wakeling
  • Start date
J

Jenny Wakeling

We are thinking of buying a Moody 346 built in 1990. When we viewed one the other day we could not find all the seacocks! Where are they located and are they made of DZR bronze?

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Jenny,

I don't know the M346, but they will be distributed, below hatches in the sole boards, in lockers in the heads, under bunks and in the engine space.

The originals would have been bronze, or possibly DZR brass, but they may well have been replaced with other material by a previous owner. I would ask the vendor.

Peter.

Andrew Bohm

Andrew Bohm
Boat name
CAFE MILDEW
Berth
Boston, Massachusetts, Usa
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
Northeast Coast of The Usa
Regardless of the material, once you find them, I'd check to be sure all the sea cocks actually work. On the 1987 Moodly 376 I recently purchased the raw water sea cock for the engine did not close. The valve handle turned, but the mechanism inside stayed open. This was quite a surprise when I went to clean out the strainer during our first sail. Fortunately, the other other sea cocks all seem fine.

John Mortimer

John Mortimer
Boat name
WIZARD
Berth
Southampton
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
Solent
There is 1 in engine compartment next to prop shaft. 1 in heads cupboard (on waterline) , 1 under sink ( on waterline), 1 under the seat next to the chart table - lift the wooden panel up and the rest are in the cockpit locker - you may need to lift the false floor up.

I guess until you inspect them you will have no idea what they are made of as they may have been changed to anything by previous owners.

Good luck - we love our 346....she has handled f9 in the channel and is very comfortable.

Well worth joining MOA if you buy one.....I saved our £20 subscription in the first day :)

Any more questions or just want a chat then feel free to give me a ring 07968050167

Fair winds

John