1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously Looking For A 31 Mkii

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Robert Thornewill, 5/8/16.

1. Robert Thornewill

Robert Thornewill Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast & Elbe To Brest
    Hi all,
    I am seriously considering buying a Moody 31 mk2 to replace my Beneteau First 30, (see next PBO), and have a few questions before I commit.
    The boat I am considering is 'Nikita' in Chatham, but she has a few issues.
    A. Her fin keel is very slightly out of true with the hull centre line. Is this common, or a problem?. There also appears to be evidence of the keel root joint moving. Again, has anyone encountered this problem?
    B. There were comments regarding the keel bolts in a 2013 survey and I understand Moodys used mild steel keel bolts. Have they ever been known to fail?, and have any of the members had experience of changing keel bolts?
    C. The rudder bearing at the lower end of the skeg is loose. So much so that the tiller has dropped and now the rudder is now supported, to a large extent, by the headstock contacting the rudder upper bearing housing. How is the lower bearing fixed to the skeg?
    D. There is fiberglass sheathing at the top of the 'P' bracket. This leads me to believe that the 'P' bracket has become loose at some stage, possibly through excessive vibration. Have the membership encountered this problem before, and if so, is this an approved solution?
    Do any of the membership have experience of Nikita that might be relevant to a potential purchaser?
    Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    With thanks,
    Robert

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Robert,
    I have no experience of the M31 in general especially the particular boat you are interested in.

My advise is always to seek the services of a professional surveyor who has personal knowledge of Moody yachts.

The owners of this boat are members of the MOA and comments from other members may be difficult to acquire especially from members who know the boat and the owners and on an open forum such as this.

If you do not have direct contact with the owners (boat being sold by a broker) but wish to do so then by joining the MOA you would have access to their details through the members' database.

3. Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Hi Jeff,

I was just looking for sone advice and the history of the boat, nothing more. I have made a final offer now, and await their response.
    Fingers crossed for celebrations tonight!.

Robert

4. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Hi Robert,

Hopefully things go well for you and we look forward to having you aboard soon as a full member.

5. Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Hi Jeff,

I am now the proud owner of Nikita!!!!!!!
    Just got to get her from Chatham to Poole now!
    Timings mean someone else will have to do that, but I can't wait!

6. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    Rather than run two threads with the same opener, Robert, I've deleted the thread in the Tech Forum.
    Good luck with your boat! Safe trip to Poole.

7. Roger Smith

Roger Smith Roger Smith

Boat name:
    SABRE
    Boat type:
    Moody 31
    Cruising area:
    East Coast
    Robert
    The previous but one owner of Nikita is still a Moody owner so you could send him a private message to Tony Krarup. If you have a register then his phone number is shown therein.

Enjoy your boat. Fab choice
    Roger

8. Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar Laurence Gandar Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Compass Advertising Manager
    Boat name:
    MISTRAL DANCER
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Solent, English Channel
    Robert
    If you need a delivery crew Halcyon Yachts are well thought of and recently did a delivery the other way for one of our members.
    Contact no is 07966 537992. They give MOA members a 10% discount.
    The contact name is Peter Green.
    I am trying to get them to advertise in our magazine, so please mention Compass if you do make contact
    Thanks
    Laurence

9. Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Hi Laurence.

Thanks. I'll give them a bell on Monday, but there is a fly in the ointment at the moment.
    More on that if things progress!

Robert

10. James Everiss

James Everiss James Everiss

Boat name:
    TWILIGHT
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent and Channel.
    Hi Robert and congratulations on your new boat.
    Did I see your boat in Gillingham Marina last week ? I have my new (to me) Moody 31 Mk11 in Gillingham so was interested to see another one near the lift our area - I am sure it was 'Nikita'.

11. Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Hi,
    Sorry to tell, but I turned down the boat (Nikita), because the corroded keel bolt had cracked the hull and it needed nearly £4000 to repair it. That and the bill would get higher if they found anything else!
    I can tell you I was mightly disappointed, but when the surveyor told me I was very downhearted.
    Still, with hope springing eternal, I'm now saving hard for a 336 in the new year.
    Onwards and upwards!

12. James Everiss

Boat name:
    TWILIGHT
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent and Channel.
    What a disappointment for you. I have not heard of that problem in a Moody before and it was damn bad luck to find one with such an extreme problem. I wonder if anyone can shed light on whether this problem is more common that we realize ?
    Good luck in your hunt for a 336 in the New Year.

13. Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Hi James,

It is my understanding, (and I am happy to be corrected), that Angus Primrose trained Bill Dixon, and insisted that the keel and the bolts were as close, galvanically, as possible. Hence the keel bolts are mild steel.
    It follows that if there is any water ingress to the keel/bolt interface, there will be corrosion.
    Personally, I'd have made the bolts at least 316 stainless, but I'm not a designer.

I'm very much looking forward to getting a 336 though. We will see what the new year brings!

Robert

14. James Everiss

Boat name:
    TWILIGHT
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent and Channel.
    I am aware that the keel bolts can corrode but what surprises me is that is caused the hull to crack !

Anyway, look forward to hearing about your new 336 when you find her.

15. Robert Thornewill

Boat name:
    RUNNING WILD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    As was noted on the previous survey in 2013, was that there was a measurable amount of corrosion around the keel bolt, and some wastage. As iron corrodes, the corrosion material. (FeO, iron oxide), occupies a much greater volume than the original material. The iron oxide just got too much for the hole that the original bolt occupied, and it split the keel stub. A 4 inch crack appeared. Made the boat unseaworthy.
    Believe me, I shall be checking the keel bolts on my new boat very regularly!

Robert