Moody 346 size of the berth in the aft cabin?

Ian Henderson

Ian Henderson
Registered Guest
Can anyone tell me the width of the double berth in the aft cabin on the 346 please. Any comments regarding comfort of the width would be appreciated,
Many thanks
Ian
(Edit by a moderator - Ian, I've added the subject matter to your thread title - the more informative the more likely it is to be read!)

Ian Henderson

Ian Henderson
Registered Guest
Can anyone tell me the width of the double berth in the aft cabin on the 346 please. Any comments regarding comfort of the width would be appreciated,
Many thanks
Ian
(Edit by a moderator - Ian, I've added the subject matter to your thread title - the more informative the more likely it is to be read!)
Many thanks,
Ian

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Hi, 1300 mm wide, a smidge over 4 foot at the 'pillow end' .... haven't measured the foot end but it is about1000 mm, and 2000mm long.
we have slept well on it. we have used a mattress topper on top of the standard cushions which sort of works, but have just ordered a memory foam mattress which we will carve to shape , in a bid for luxury...... hence I know the dimensions.
The greatest thing about a M34/346 aft cabin is the volume of air, such an improvement on the 'sleeping in a cupboard' arrangement of many other craft, one possible alternative is to build an infill to produce a transverse berth, this would give an even bigger bed , at the expense of the standing room available, and we are still considering it.
I think it is the biggest cabin in a yacht of this size, it works well, and a little comfort goes a long way if spending weeks on board.

Ian Henderson

Ian Henderson
Registered Guest
Thank you Chris, I'm most grateful that answers all my questions. I love the boat, it's in the Med so couldn't get to it with a tape measure.
My previous boat had an aft cabin with a berth that was just too narrow at the head.
Kind regards
Ian

Peter Fleming

Peter Fleming
Boat name
MIDNIGHT LADY
Berth
Arisaig
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
Scotland West Coast
The 346 bed is generous but I adapted ours to make it a bit bigger. I didn’t want to lose the standing room but instead was happy to lose the vanity sink which was never used. I therefore removed the sink and took away half the top of the cabinet which extended the bed width by about 8” - it’s now half way between std dbl and king size. The bedside cupboard is still useable - port side door is adjusted to open under the bed and I added a lifting top to use the remaining old sink space.
I made a new infill piece but reused the original edging and spliced in a piece of the trim round the sink to gain the extra length as it’s profile matched.
Lastly, I made a new headboard and replaced the mirror with a narrower one - I took both of these to to top of the bulkhead to hide some ugly staining and damage to the original finish on the ply.
All-in-all the joinery was simple and with a new 5” mattress from ShipShape bedding the result is a very comfy bed without compromising the spacious nature of the cabin to any noticeable extent.
The attached pics will hopefully help make my description a bit clearer...
6BD5D70E-014D-4C13-8367-102E5CB5087D.jpeg
80F6307E-96F1-4521-8289-576F6FCA2718.jpeg