CEOL NA MARA
Berth
Ashlett SC, Ashlett Creek, Southampton Water
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
South Coast & Channel Islands
I have a spinnaker pole for sale.
It’s approx. 10ft 10inches long and 2.5/3nches diameter. The end fittings (Which are the same each end and are sprung jaws with a trip line) are attached with three rivets so would be easy to drill out to enable the pole to be shortened. There are small pins either end with holes top and bottom to take an uphaul and downhaul.

Any questions please ask.

Looking for £40 but open to sensible offers.

Buyer to collect.

Attachments

Barry Voysey

Barry Voysey
Boat name
LIONA
Berth
Pwllhelli
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Solent
Do you know what it was off originally

John Hawthorne

John Hawthorne
Boat name
BUNNY BEE
Berth
Fehmarn
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
Baltic
I am interested, I just need to check my length needed, where abouts is it and can you clarify the diameter

Bryan Coote

Bryan Coote
Boat name
CEOL NA MARA
Berth
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
I am interested, I just need to check my length needed, where abouts is it and can you clarify the diameter
Hi John,

It’s in Chandlers ford near Southampton. Diameter is 3 inches. In terms of length, it would be easy to shorten if required. Hope this helps.

Bryan.

Bryan Coote

Bryan Coote
Boat name
CEOL NA MARA
Berth
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Hi Barry.

The pole originally came off a Westerly Griffon but we believe it was too big for that boat - probably more suited to an approx. 30 footer. Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Bryan.

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi,

A spinnaker pole should be J in length, any less and it won't get the tack of the kite ahead of the forestay when reaching. Looking at the Moody archive, J for a Moody 31 is 12' 5". The diameter at 3" is alarmingly small for a spi pole on a 30 footer - you can work out what dia is required for any boat with the Selden caralogue. They say you can get away with smaller diameter for a whisker pole, but recommend length greater than J for this purpose.

I haven't checked what J is for a Griffon, but suspect 10' 10" may be about right, Again 3" diameter sounds a bit small, but may be OK if the wall thickness is greater than usual. The combination of tube diameter and wall thickness is to prevent the spar from buckling when loaded in compression. If you've ever done the foredeck job with a kite, you'll know that the compressive load can be high.

Peter.

p.s. I just checked the Griffon rig sizes and J is a gnats over 10' 9" according to Sailrite, so that pole would have suited a Griffon. Looks like a 72mm diameter x 2,2mm wall thickness would serve. P.

Last edited:

John Hawthorne

John Hawthorne
Boat name
BUNNY BEE
Berth
Fehmarn
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
Baltic
Hi John,

It’s in Chandlers ford near Southampton. Diameter is 3 inches. In terms of length, it would be easy to shorten if required. Hope this helps.

Bryan.
Hi Bryan I am interested, I’ve just got to check the size but as you say it might be easy to shorten it, I want it as a Genoa pole not a spinnaker pole, I will get back with a decision in the next 2 days if you can hold it for me
Regards John

John Hawthorne

John Hawthorne
Boat name
BUNNY BEE
Berth
Fehmarn
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
Baltic
Hi Bryan
Sorry I needed it a bit longer, good luck with selling it
John

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Hi John,

Selden recommend a whisker pole should be as long as the foot of the sail to be poled out which, for most genoas, is greater than J. Having said that, most folk get along using a standard spi pole, which is J long. Depending which Moody 38 you have, your J is 14' 10" (circa 1990s) or 13' 4" (circa 2000). On the earlier M38, a 10'10" pole will protrude about 4' 6" from the rail (beam 12' 8") and on the later one about 2" more (beam 12' 4").

Peter

John Hawthorne

John Hawthorne
Boat name
BUNNY BEE
Berth
Fehmarn
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
Baltic
Hi Peter
Thanks,we ave an extendible ski pole but it’s quite heavy so I thought a 3 in pole for use in light winds would be useful, but as you have explained we need one about 13 feet
Thanks John

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Hi John,

Good one! We were making good use of ski poles today, but not telescopic and rather less than 3" diameter. ;)

Peter.