MIR
Berth
Mengeham Rythe Sailing Club
Boat type
Moddy 31 Mk2
Cruising area
Solent
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking at a Moody 31 MKII and wanted to get as much information I could possibly gather from this amazing source of Moody knowledge.

I live on Hayling Island and will be keeping the boat on a tidal mooring so obviously I am opting for a Bilge Keel 31 MKII with Tiller steer.

What in your opinions are the most important things to watch out for when buying, first things to consider after buying and any top tips or upgrades? Happy for you to point me to old threads.

Thanks

Hi Peter - Great choice of boat, we bought one in 2022 and keep her on Hayling Island (Wilsons)

The things we looked out for were (the usuals rerally)

• Recently replaced Chain Plates (They are difficult to actually see unless they have been changed and inspection hatches put in)
  • Keel Bolts having been replaced or checked
  • Standing Rigging - Genrally if no proof of when it was last replaced then this will need repacing for insurance purposes (and piece of mind!)
  • Engine Service history, things that have been worked on / replaced recently (Water Pump, Stern Gland, cutlass bearing, usual service items including fuel filters etc)
  • Easy operation of seacocks (they don't last forever)
Since owning her, we've changed the rigging, and also refurnished the windows and hatches as had a few monoir weeps. We also changed the seacocks just because we couldnt ascertain their age, and a couple we a little stiff. The batteries have been changed and also the alternator/starter motor as they had reached the end of their life.

Peter, if you click on the Yellow and black icon in the forum indexes, it will take you to all the Moody 31 Mk2 threads. There are 20 years of posts to read through. Great yachts for their size too :D

Hi Peter - Great choice of boat, we bought one in 2022 and keep her on Hayling Island (Wilsons)

The things we looked out for were (the usuals rerally)

• Recently replaced Chain Plates (They are difficult to actually see unless they have been changed and inspection hatches put in)
  • Keel Bolts having been replaced or checked
  • Standing Rigging - Genrally if no proof of when it was last replaced then this will need repacing for insurance purposes (and piece of mind!)
  • Engine Service history, things that have been worked on / replaced recently (Water Pump, Stern Gland, cutlass bearing, usual service items including fuel filters etc)
  • Easy operation of seacocks (they don't last forever)
Since owning her, we've changed the rigging, and also refurnished the windows and hatches as had a few monoir weeps. We also changed the seacocks just because we couldnt ascertain their age, and a couple we a little stiff. The batteries have been changed and also the alternator/starter motor as they had reached the end of their life.

Thanks for this Gary.

Peter, if you click on the Yellow and black icon in the forum indexes, it will take you to all the Moody 31 Mk2 threads. There are 20 years of posts to read through. Great yachts for their size too :D

Thanks Pete, I have actually been doing this, not that far back but I wanted to get a general idea if there is any typical issues on this boat at this age.

Back