• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Wanted Stowe Dataline MHU, databox and/or display

Hamish Brown

Hamish Brown
Boat name
MINGULAY
Berth
Millport Bay
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
West Coast of Scotland
Having MHU problems again. Just replaced for one which was meant to have been serviced (second hand) only to find it exhibits the same problem as the previous owner had experienced before the repair. The problem is a very erratic wind direction. It appears stable for a few minutes then jumps wildly by 90 degrees or more. It tends to jump all over the place, and occasionally looks like it tries to reset (points up with two bars on speed) before going through the same process. Wind speed is also erratic and (mostly) reading way too high. It tends to rise wildly when the wind dial jumps. The unit looks in good condition and may even have the new PCBs inside. Not sure if it's a potentiometer or HAL effect wind sensor but I suspect this is where the fault lies. I need to retrieve it from the mast head to find out !

And so to my quest : I'm looking to either find a (working) MHU or to try and debug my own. For this I was planning to set up a bench test and wondered if anyone has an old databox and display that's surplus to requirements ?

If all else fails......can anyone vouch for Tinley (Stowe) to fix a MHU at a reasonable cost ? They say on the website that most faults can generally be repaired within their 1hour charge. I am reluctant to end up spending too much on such old technology.

Please contact me by response on this post or by email at :
hamish.brown@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks.

Clive Roberts

Clive Roberts
Boat name
CHARISMA
Berth
Bangor North Wales
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
Irish Sea
FWIW. I sent a VDO mast head unit to Tinley for repair but the quote was as much as three new NASA units. Needless to say, I left it there and went for the NASA.

Last edited:

Richard Readings

Richard Readings
Boat name
EMMIE
Berth
Parkstone Yacht Club
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
English Channel
Hamish,

Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts where the MHU fits at the top of the mast? ISTR this helped on Emmie when we had similar (but less severe) problems.

Richard

Hamish Brown

Hamish Brown
Boat name
MINGULAY
Berth
Millport Bay
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
West Coast of Scotland
Richard'
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try but I think I would still like to bench test it first, before sending it back up the mast again. If I could just get hold of a spare databox and wind display then I could do this at home..... at ground level !
Hamish

Mark Cady

Mark Cady
Boat name
BLUE MOON
Berth
Wareham
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Poole South Coast
I had my Stowe refurbished at Tinley Stowe Lymington. Completely refurbished with all new insides but well over £350 so if you don't need it to talk to any other instruments NASA may be a good way to go.

Mark