• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody Eclipse 33 taking the ground?

Robert Sadler

Robert Sadler
Registered Guest
Hello,

With age taking it's toll I'm looking at downsizing and the Eclipse 33 with bilge keels looks ideal but one question: can the Eclipse 33 with bilge keels sit stable (i.e. without "legs" or the like) when a mooring has dried out? I would like to do some "creek-crawling" and this is a feature I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Bob

Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore
Boat name
JONIKA
Berth
Whitehaven
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
UK West Coast
Hi Bob, welcome to the site!
Absolutely stable. Whenever my boatyard puts Jonika ashore the yard simply place her on two sleepers under the keels. The rudder is about 8 inches off the deck at that point. The bathing ladder on the Eclipse 33 is specifically designed a rung longer than most so it reaches close enough to the ground for boarding without needing further ladders. The keels have a good splay on them so there's no sideways movement and I've stood right by the forestay without any movement at all (unsurprising: Jonika is 6, (going on 7 with kit) tonnes and I'm really not...).
Obviously, soft ground will affect stability until she settles a little, but hard sand is good. Knowing your ground before bottoming out is important, particularly to avoid any undue slopes that make movement aboard more challenging. Not entirely certain how she would behave on mud for creek crawling as I've never parked on such a surface.
The Eclipse 33 is a great boat and as various reviews have said, the accommodation is amazingly roomy for the size of the hull. The heads compartment is palatial! I find the stern cabin to be a very roomy single rather than a true double, but that's because I'm 6'1". Do be aware that the side decks are very narrow in comparison to other boats because of the superstructure, but the grabrails are long and well placed. Having sailed a variety of Bavarias and Jeanneaus from 36 to 47 feet before biting the bullet I'd say that the Eclipse 33 is far superior to the 36/37 foot Bavarias and far more manageable than the larger boats.

Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore
Boat name
JONIKA
Berth
Whitehaven
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
UK West Coast
Oh, it's a very disconcerting experience, standing on a yacht on the ground that has no visible means of support while on deck, and you are a surprising distance off the ground compared to water level and the Eclipse 33 has quite a large freeboard.

Robert Sadler

Robert Sadler
Registered Guest
Hi Bob, welcome to the site!
Absolutely stable. Whenever my boatyard puts Jonika ashore the yard simply place her on two sleepers under the keels. The rudder is about 8 inches off the deck at that point. The bathing ladder on the Eclipse 33 is specifically designed a rung longer than most so it reaches close enough to the ground for boarding without needing further ladders. The keels have a good splay on them so there's no sideways movement and I've stood right by the forestay without any movement at all (unsurprising: Jonika is 6, (going on 7 with kit) tonnes and I'm really not...).
Obviously, soft ground will affect stability until she settles a little, but hard sand is good. Knowing your ground before bottoming out is important, particularly to avoid any undue slopes that make movement aboard more challenging. Not entirely certain how she would behave on mud for creek crawling as I've never parked on such a surface.
The Eclipse 33 is a great boat and as various reviews have said, the accommodation is amazingly roomy for the size of the hull. The heads compartment is palatial! I find the stern cabin to be a very roomy single rather than a true double, but that's because I'm 6'1". Do be aware that the side decks are very narrow in comparison to other boats because of the superstructure, but the grabrails are long and well placed. Having sailed a variety of Bavarias and Jeanneaus from 36 to 47 feet before biting the bullet I'd say that the Eclipse 33 is far superior to the 36/37 foot Bavarias and far more manageable than the larger boats.
Oh, it's a very disconcerting experience, standing on a yacht on the ground that has no visible means of support while on deck, and you are a surprising distance off the ground compared to water level and the Eclipse 33 has quite a large freeboard.
Many thanks