Miguel Alemao

Miguel Alemao
Boat name
Madrigal
Berth
Adelaide
Boat type
Moody 46
following a recent thread I initiated, the M46 I am looking at has her Teak decks painted with Sikkens/Semco waterproofing treatment. Aside from questionable aesthetics, is that a recommendable procedure? I've read a few threads on teak issues with aged Moody models so I wonder if this coating was an attempt to prolong the teak life and somehow disguise excessive wear and tear? interestingly the cockpit floor teak was actually fully replaced 2 years ago.
thank you.

Hi Miguel,

For most Moodys, I believe including the M46, there was not much teak deck as standard. It was limited to the cockpit sole and the cockpit seats for all models and odd extra bits like step from side deck to cockpit and steps on the sugar scoop for some of the bigger models. Of course, as an extra, they would cover anything else the buyer wanted with teak. The "standard" teak decking was actually done with teak faced marine ply although this is unlikely to have lasted 20 years so, in most cases, will have been replaced by now and most owners choose to replace in solid teak. Even solid teak decks which live in continuous Mediterranean (or hotter) sunshine will be getting to the end of their life by 20 years.

I think this difference explains why the cockpit sole teak has already been replaced and that has little significance for the condition of the main deck although it's worth taking a close look at the cockpit seats and anything on the sugar scoop. Hopefully the seats have been kept covered under cushions!

This opens up an opportunity for products like Semco, which is a first class teak cleaner and sealer system, protecting the wood from both UV and mould. Regrettably, imho, they offer a "Honeytone" version which contains some dye and distorts the natural colour of the teak, but the basic version is "Natural". If you seal the teak, it will not change to the grey weathered look that some of us like, but remain looking more like new teak. Teak which is treated from new will at least double its life compared to teak left exposed and cleaned by scrubbing, especially in high UV areas. Be sure, Intense sunlight does far more damage to the wood than rain!

Teak has been getting more expensive at above the rate of inflation for all of my (fairly long) life - it's rare to see a new boat planked in teak nowadays. Over the past couple of years this has accelerated to the point that solid teak is now a real luxury except in small parts. If the boat you're looking at has lived most of her life in the Med and they have been treating her decks for all that time, I would call that a bonus, tayher than being due for redecking now, you could have another 20 years left.

I suspect the teak issues you have read of are to do with the "standard" teak in the cockpit.

The part of Moody which used to fit the optional teak decks was sold off and still trades as Moody Decking:

Moody Decking Services Ltd

They supply many yacht builders with the original teak decks in large pre built sections. If the deck on the yacht you are looking at seems in need of replacement, you could ask Moody Decking for the price of a replacement delivered tp a yard near you and ask the yard the price for replacing the deck - that would give you a negotiating lever.

Peter

Hi Peter, thank you once again for your valuable input. I will have close look at the deck area and hopefully, aside from the not so nice looking honey/orange colour, not much else to report.
Miguel

Hi Miguel
I agree with everything Peter said above, speaking as the owner of a 1997 M44 with teak decks in addition to the standard areas of cockpit and transom steps.
I needed to replace the cockpit seating and all the steps when I bought the boat 4 years ago. Moody Decking (link above) knew all about what had been used on the boat and how it had been fitted (glued rather than glue and screw on the M44). They were able to supply pre made parts for the seats and steps already cut to size and shape which made the replacement much job simpler.
Regards
Peter

Hi Miguel
I agree with everything Peter said above, speaking as the owner of a 1997 M44 with teak decks in addition to the standard areas of cockpit and transom steps.
I needed to replace the cockpit seating and all the steps when I bought the boat 4 years ago. Moody Decking (link above) knew all about what had been used on the boat and how it had been fitted (glued rather than glue and screw on the M44). They were able to supply pre made parts for the seats and steps already cut to size and shape which made the replacement much job simpler.
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter, thank you for your further insight. I'll definitely keep Moddy Decking in mind if I'm lucky enough to buy this vessel. As it seems the deck teak's condition is actually still very good. It's just the aesthetics I don't fancy (yes I am also the weathered grey look kind of guy or even no teak at all). Perhaps when the time comes I'll revisit the subject. That might actually include removing the teak altogether. On that note, is this a feasible option without damaging the deck gelcoat too much?
thanks
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

My preference would be to stick with the exellent Moody moulded in non-slip decking, rather than covering it with teak and replace the few bits built with teak faced ply using either solid teak (££££) or one of the classier imitation teaks. Even Spirit Yachts went for an imitation teak on their recent 111 footer, but I suspect it cost as much as (if not more than) the real thing - see post #5 here:

(3) Moody 336 - Wood used in cabin and cockpit sole | Moody Owners Information Exchange

I would say removing teak is a non starter if it was screwed down all over -if it was just glued down then it's still a high risk approach - I'm not sure how you would get rid of all the old glue without destroying the moulded in non-slip.

Peter.

Thank you Peter, I have to agree removing teak is probably not a great option. As I mentioned the teak looks in fair condition and surely I can get used to the current orangish colour. At a later stage I can perhaps go back to a more natural coating and prolong the teak life for a few more years. That’s is definitely not a deal breaker so let’s hope I can get the deal over the line...
Miguel

Back