• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Teak Decks-

Bill Dawson

William Dawson
Temporary Member
I see a lot of the Moodies which are for sale have teak decks. Is this a problem for the buyer of a Moody with a teak deck? What is the core material used and have many owners had to deal with leaking teak, compromised core material and major cost both in time and money to correct the situation.

Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall
Boat name
GOOSE
Berth
Mayflower, Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
South Coast
I have a 2001 model and the main teak is fine. However the cockpit seats and sole together with the transom stem are teak on ply. This does not last as long and had to be replace.

The surveyor found no issues with compromised core material which on my vessel is balsa except for around deck fittings where plywood is used.

I believe the deck is made up from teak laid into fiberglass panels thus reducing the likelihood of damage to the core.

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Bill
I think fixing method depends on model and age. My 1997 M44 purchased last year has teak decks that are glued down with very few screws into the deck. When new the teak was 9mm thick. As Duncan says cockpit seats and floor along with transom steps are teak faced ply with just 2mm of teak and wear out much more quickly. Moody Decking have the templates for all the teak faced ply parts (for a M44 at least) and made me pre-formed panels to just drop in and glue down. All these panels are on a thin GRP backing sheet and are made from solid teak.
Before buying my boat I looked at a 1987 M47 where the teak decks had recently been removed and replaced with gelcoat. A remarkably good job but the old deck on that boat had been screwed down so hundreds of holes to fill before gelcoat applied.
Regards
Peter

John Dekkers

John Dekkers
Registered Guest
Hi Bill,

I am shopping as well and have the same concerns. There is a fantastic You-Tube channel called "Sail Life" from a fellow in Denmark. He publishes once a week following his project boat Athena and is almost finished up the re-coring of his deck. It had teak decks and if you go back about 6 months in his videos you will see just how rotten the deck was. His boat came I think from Scotland which is a particularly soggy place so this could factor into your choices as well. While his boat is a Warrior 38 and not Moody, I'm not inclined to believe other screwed decks would fair much better.

Best Regards,

John

Michael Barrett

Michael Barrett
Boat name
WHITE STAR
Berth
Fishing Bay Harbor Marina
Boat type
Moody 46
Cruising area
Chesapeake Bay, Usa
My decking (2000 M46) is sold teak. The outer edges were both glued down and held with screws. One can see the plugs. All the inner planks were glued down. No leaks, and the two or three other M46 owners I know have not had issues.

Cockpit seats are laminated and the lamination fails after ten years or so near the curve at the stern owing to water pooling by the drain holes on both sides. The drain holes are too high so the water pools. Chipped out my seats and replaced them with solid 8mm strips. No issues but the drain holes are still too high. No real solution. I have a bimini so it is not too much of a problem.

Michael Barrett