1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of A Centre Cockpit Moody With Bilge Keels

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Philip Raby, 28/11/16.

1. Philip Raby

Philip Raby Philip Raby Registered Guest

Hi all

Thanks for the guest registration.

I'm considering a Moody and like the privacy of an aft cabin boat, when cruising with friends. I also think bilge keels would suit me, as I am based in Chichester Harbour. The boat would be used for local cruising in the Solent, across the Channel and, one day I hope, taken around Britain.

I have to confess, that I am confused by the various choices - 34, 346, 35CC, 37, 376 and perhaps others. My gut feeling is that 37ft is too big. I would like a boat that I could, if need be, sail single-handed (my wife doesn't sail much and the family are growing up).

I would welcome feedback on my thinking here.

Many thanks

Phil

2. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Phil, I think the 36 was the largest Moody with bilge keels. You could also add the Moody Eclipse 33 to your list if the layout suits your needs.

Certainly bilge keels add some options of visiting places that fin keeled yachts have difficulty with. Keyhaven Quay is a favourite, along with Ashlett Creek and the RVYC in Wooton Creek all doable because we can dry out.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/solent/keyhaven/charts.asp?cattype=7

Pete

Last edited: 28/11/16
  3. Philip Raby

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised that the larger boats weren't available with bilge keels.

The Eclipse 33 isn't quite what I had in mind but does look as if it would tick the boxes so I'll add that into the mix.

Cheers

Phil

4. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Last edited: 28/11/16
  5. Philip Raby

Sorry to hear you're selling yours, Jeff. She sounds ideal but, sadly, I'm not quite ready to buy. Good luck with the sale.

Phil

6. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Phil,

To add to the answers you get here, some time spent studying the Moody Archive (link "Go to Boat Archives" on the left side of the home page, towards the bottom) would help you understand the Moody range. As far as I recall the 90's M36 is the largest available with bilge keels, but the bigger models are mostly available with shoal draft keels.

For the most part, I wouldn't worry about single handing, with the possible exception of getting into a tight berth that I don't know, our M425 offers no real challenges in this respect.

Basically the bigger boats offer more comfort in bad weather and make faster passages in exchange for which you pay more for berthing and have more work (or cost) to keep them in good order.

Peter

7. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Philip,
    the Eclipse 33 is a fine boat, but the aft cabin is realistically for a couple (or pair of kids) for a few nights at most, or a decent berth for one - if you're my 6' height, anyway. The forward cabin is somewhat nicer and intended as the owners'. She does however have accommodation much larger than her 33' length would suggest. If you want a boat that can take you round Britain, then you could do much worse - there will be days where you need to do miles in the drizzle and the inner helm/inner autopilot will make life much nicer and infinitely more pleasant if laid over for a few days by the weather.
    Her sub 10m length helps with the parking fees and for permanent berthing, depending on what your chosen marina charges by. I've never parked mine single-handed, but suspect her beam would make such an act tricky unless you're a gymnast.
    The other issue with the E33 is availability/price. They ain't cheap - the two I've seen on sale right now in the UK are 50k and 56k, which seems to be the going price. I willingly chose to pay that for the accommodation, size and ease of sail handling.
    Regards,
    Paul

8. Philip Raby

Thanks, Paul, that's really useful feedback. Lots to think about now...

Phil

9. Paul Cleaver

Paul Cleaver Paul Cleaver

Boat name:
    RAPPORT
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    South Wales
    Hi Paul.

The Eclipse 33 is quite easy to bring alongside single handed, most of my sailing is singlehanded, and I can assure you no gymnastics are necessary.

I've written this in another thread to avoid thread drift and the link is :
    http://www.moodyowners.info/threads/using-a-spring.14026/

Regards,
    Paul.

10. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Hi Paul,
    That is most kind. I'll have to try that one day - but with a backup crew for the first few attempts!
    Regards,
    Paul