Boat name
SALTY BEAR
Berth
Christchurch
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Channel Coast
What do I need to look for if buying an Excell 34 and do I need a survey. If so how much should it cost.

I purchased an EXCEL 34 three years ago and both the Purser and I are extremely happy with her. If you have a survey, have a check made on the rudder lip seals, they can leak into the lockers under the rear double bunk. If a fin keel then check the bolts and bilges for corrosion. Check the diaphragm on the saildrive is changed at the correct time and that the standing rigging is all OK. We have had no issues to be really unhappy about, the boat sails beautifully and is extremely comfortable and forgiving. Everyone compliments us about the boat, no regrets at all. Prout's only made about of these models before going out of business so a rare opportunity for you.

Sorry, a typo has just leapt out at me. I meant to add that Prout's only made about 20 or so of the Excel 34 so there aren't many about for sale, I have only come accross about 6 of them ever. Ours is number 17.

Sorry, a typo has just leapt out at me. I meant to add that Prout's only made about 20 or so of the Excel 34 so there aren't many about for sale, I have only come accross about 6 of them ever. Ours is number 17.

Thanks Tim,

All good information , do you know how often the saildrive diaphragm should be changed. Plus have you fitted a holding tank in yours.

Cheers Mark

Volvo recommend that the saildrive diaphragm should be replaced every 7 years. However not ever heard of any failing to date!

Saildrive diaphragm every 7 years and as Martin and Sheena say, never heard of one failing but I am sure the insurance companies would use it as a getout if they thought they could!!!
I haven't put in a holding tank although there is bags of space in the enormous cockpit locker. I have several friends with holding tanks who have had serious blockage issues with them and I will avoid it until forced. Mind you, all these friends have Bavarias which have their own issues (no surprise there then) around the size of the holding tank outlet to the point where toilet tissue is banned aboard!!. We also use soluble toilet tissue aboard, just to be safe from blockages which we have never had, thank goodness.
I have had to buy a new exhaust elbow, rudder lip seals, water tank gauge sender and a new drive belt for the autohelm unit on the wheel. I had the compass swung as it was inaccurate. I also had the bottom stripped and epoxied/primed/antifouled in winter number one as it had never been done since new. Apart from these things, the boat has needed nothing in four years. I intend to renew the keel seal and bolts this winter as there is a small weep from the front of the keel joint which is annoying so check this on your prospective purchase.
I hope you get the boat and enjoy it, we have and will continue to do so!!!
Tim

Thanks Tom , got beaten to the boat but will continue our search !

Back