1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Buying A Late 90s 36

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Graham Lazell, 31/8/17.

1. Graham Lazell

Graham Lazell Graham Lazell

Boat name:
    DREAMCATCHER
    Berth:
    Fambridge Yacht Haven
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    East Coast
    Hi to everyone on the MOA.

After 15 years of ownership of our much loved M35 ‘Dreamcatcher’ we are thinking of moving up to a late M36. My only real concern is how well the 36 sails compared to the 35 as it is 2’ longer, 2 tons heavier but only has 12sq foot extra sail area. We have always felt the 35 sails well pointing up to 30 degrees to the apparent wind whilst making good way and effortlessly hitting 7 knts + on a reach. We will only be looking at the standard fin keel and would not want to be disappointed on sailing performance. Your thoughts and observations please.
    After years of meaning to join the association I have finally done so and look forward to sharing information and meeting up with some of you. Our East coast home port is Nth Fambridge on the R Crouch. Our cruising area is East & South coasts, France, Belgium and Holland.

Looking forward to your replies,
    Graham.

2. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    Hi Graham,
    I was in Fambridge YH on Saturday night!
    I was a bit taken aback at the weight difference you quoted, but looking at the Moody archive the difference is indeed 2 tonnes. But this is odd as I was looking for something in my owners' handbook the other evening and specifically noticed the weight of the 36, and it was nothing like those figures, maybe a tonne less. So something is not quite right there and I will follow that up.
    I've never sailed on a 35 was was rather easily overtaken by one last year, our first year with the 36, on a reach too, but at the time the boat still had a 3-blade fixed prop, a bottom finish like the surface of the moon, and totally knackered sails. She feels a lot different this year but she does need a breeze to get her going. Breeze was abundant this year on 2 Channel crossings, both sailed under genoa alone, the boat was tanking along and I did once see 8.8 knots but that may have been a bit of a surf!
    There is an enormous feeling of safety and security on this boat which my other half does value.
    But I don't have enough experience of decent periods of 'normal' sailing on this boat to say whether she's actually satisfying to sail - this year's weather has been pretty unusual for us in that we've either been motoring in a flat calm (as most of last week) or being blasted by a lot of wind (as cross-Channel and on the French coast end-June/early July).
    So probably not much help, sorry!

3. Stuart Wineberg

Stuart Wineberg Stuart Wineberg

Boat name:
    MOODY BLUE
    Berth:
    Haslar
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    Channel Coast
    My impression after a year of ownership is that it is indeed a very conservative rig and not the fastest boat. We were sailing in company with a Bavaria 34 and the two boats were pretty evenly matched. We sail as a couple and are looking for an easy safe motion, good stability in big seas more than maximum speed. She has taken us through a force 7 with a lovely 43 knot gust and across the channel in quite a big sea on the aft quarter felt safe and relaxed all the time. We fitted a fully battened main and she points comfortably at 35 degrees, with best close hauled speed at about 45. I think a new genoa would improve the speed a lot but budget prevents.

4. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Berth:
    Ardfern
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    FWIW..

I started out looking for , in order of preference, 35, 376, 38 then 36.

I ended up with the 36 after a lot of thought and very happy I am.

Short list of reasoning:

35 - too cramped for us , disappointed as I wanted nothing bigger and I know they are good boats.
    376- LOVED the cockpit locker and everything else about the boat, apart from 2 heads and a poor aft cabin layout..
    38- fantasy asking prices for very tired boats ( when we were looking) Also we don't need the space.

36- Despite not being top of the list after viewing all the above list the 36 stood out as the best boat for us. We looked at 5 of them , the one we bought being the first on our list to view. All needed work despite the talk spouted by the owners/ brokers, which is normal...We sail conservatively but have been out in some unpleasant conditions which the boat handled easily.
    ( reading back through that, it is unfair on the broker who was a very decent and honest bloke who I would not hesitate to deal with again, sorry Reg if your reading this)
    After our first season owning we are very, very happy with her. And about a third of the way through the 'improvements ' list!

Last edited: 2/9/17
  5. Graham Lazell

Graham Lazell Graham Lazell

Boat name:
    DREAMCATCHER
    Berth:
    Fambridge Yacht Haven
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    East Coast
    Many thanks for your replies.
    I am thinking that the 36 may be a bit slower than the 35 in light airs but in a breeze probably not much in it. We are looking for a cruising yacht after all, if I wanted performance we would be looking in a different direction.
    Looking at the numbers the 36 are not too dissimilar to the 38 so looks like the 8 tons quoted is correct, what does it say in your handbook Dick.
    Time to get our 35 up for sale and start looking, I am thinking the hard part will be finding a 36 in top condition.

6. Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    Right, there is something wrong with the weight data recorded for the 90's M36.
    I forgot to look in my handbook, but anyway found a copy of it online on this website.
    The figures (metric) are:
    Fin 6.757 tonnes
    Shoal 6.938 tonnes
    Bilge 7.087 tonnes

But in the Boat Archive section of this website the figures are very different -
    Fin 8.180 tonnes
    Shoal 8.342 tonnes
    Bilge 8.429 tonnes

So, a huge discrepancy. I have no idea why - I'll ask a few people. On 'my' figures the 36 is almost exactly one ton heavier than the 35, not two.

7. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles General Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Dick - the boat archive is a lift from the old Moody website just before they took it down after selling the business. I pinched the site, then asked David Moody if I could use if for the MOA.

So authenticity is not verified, I am sorry.

Kindest

Neil

8. Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    Just confirming that the displacement figures for the M36 in my paper manual are the same as those in the online version.
    I think I'll add a post to the main forum about this.

9. Pat Tomlinson

Pat Tomlinson Pat Tomlinson

Boat name:
    QUERIDA
    Berth:
    Calpe, Costa Blanca. Spain
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    Med
    We've owned our 36 since 1997...she was the Earls COurt Show boat...very lightly sailed by fair weather sailors... excellent condition.. However, came through some pretty nasty stuff round Cap de la Hague and between Mallorca and Minorca..never had a bad moment.
    We had her shipped to SPain and she's lying in Real Club Nautico de Calpe (Costa Blanca) If you haven't decided yet we'd be happy to let you try her out if you'r thinking of buying a 36 having read the good reports. ..weather can be very pleasant during the winter months!

10. Stuart Trought

Stuart Trought Stuart Trought

Boat name:
    ISHKA
    Berth:
    Alderney
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(80s)
    Cruising area:
    CI, France
    Have a friend who may be interested. How do I put you in touch

11. Pat Tomlinson

Pat Tomlinson Pat Tomlinson

Boat name:
    QUERIDA
    Berth:
    Calpe, Costa Blanca. Spain
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    Med
    Hi, Stuart,
    I'm back in UK now.
    I'd be happy for your friend to get in touch initially through this email.address
    patanded79@gmail.com
    Thanks and regards,
    Pat Tomlinson

12. Stuart Trought

Stuart Trought Stuart Trought

Boat name:
    ISHKA
    Berth:
    Alderney
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(80s)
    Cruising area: