• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Thinking Of Buying And Restoring 1975 Moody 33 Mk1

T

Tabor Johnson

I have found a 1975 33 MK1 an hour from my house for 6500£ asking price.

Engine has been repowered with a westerbeak 27hp

Original stanfing rigging (wow)
Tired sails

I am a happy DIY guy
I know this part of the forum is not suppose to be too technical, the questions I ask are to help me assess how much money I will need to put into this vessel, sail it for 3 to 5 years and at least get my money back in selling her to upgrade to a liveaboard for my wife and three daughters. (Possible a moody 40 primrose)

What is the diamiter of the standing rigging?
Deck core materials?
Prone to blisters?
Any issues with the cabin top (structurally with the deck steped mast)?
Has anyone replaced the chain plate knees and how accessible are they?
A good place to find affordable sails?
Fuel and water tank material and how difficult to remove and replace if needed.
And any other things I should look out for when i go to check her out.

Lots of cosmetice work but if she has good bones is it worth the restoration.
What is the lowest price you have seen the MK1 go for

Thank you for your time.

Tabor

Richard Reed

Richard Reed
Boat name
MOON DANCER
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 33 MkI
Cruising area
Weymouth/Poole/Solent
I've only just seen this. Did you buy her in the end? I've extensively restored a 76 Moody 33, so can offer some advice if you need it.

Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton
Registered Guest
Richard- I'd be interested in hearing about your refit, I have pretty much the same questions as the OP but thinking more of the larger (36+) models...

Richard Reed

Richard Reed
Boat name
MOON DANCER
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 33 MkI
Cruising area
Weymouth/Poole/Solent
Hi Rob
I'd be happy to do that - I'm working today, but will put something together over the next few days.

Tabor Johnson

Tabor Johnson
Temporary Member
I did buy her picked it up for 4000.00 usd
Lots of work to he done. Pulled the engine and doing a top end rebuild, the 3 stringers in the bilge were rotted and will be replaced and reglassed once it gets warmer.
From what i can tell the deck is mostly solid excepted for a few glassed in wood backing plates (mini core). i need to replace the ones around the chain plates, looks as though moisture had frozen and thawed over her 12 year layup and cracked the deck.

Mr Reed I would love to hear some of you highs and lows of your restoration

Tabor

Richard Reed

Richard Reed
Boat name
MOON DANCER
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 33 MkI
Cruising area
Weymouth/Poole/Solent
Hi Tabor
Sincere apologies to both you and Rob for not replying sooner. I've been snowed under with work and it just went completely out of my head.
Sounds like you've got a real bargain! Even a real 'project boat' M33 would go for at least £12k ($16,500) over here, with good examples fetching up to £17k, although it is true that prices for older boats has slumped over the past couple of years.
Quite why no-one is sure - a combination of older owners unable to sail any more, or dying; potential younger owners not have the skills or inclination to restore them; and the high cost of marina berths in the UK (around £4-£5,000 per annum) which is pricing out many less well-off owners.
I will definitely come back to you in a few days and update you with my restoration, and it would be good to hear how your project goes.
I have a four-day work project to complete (!) but I will have a few free days after that. (Being a freelance contractor means I can rarely take time off.)
Best wishes
Richard