Tips And Tricks For Using This Forum

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
Please kindly post any tips or tricks you have learned using this forum - we all need to learn

Kindest

Neil

I fell at the first hurdle trying to log in. Apparently user name and password must all be lower case.

Hi Lindsey,

I am afraid that is our restriction not that of Xenforo. The point is that the login is case sensitive. Because we want to try and avoid the case issue we are asking for logins to be lower case.

Kindest

Neil

Go into your profile (top left of menu bar), select preferences/settings and tick "automatically watch threads... and receive email...." see below. That will mean that when you create a thread you will automatically receive a reply.

grab-1.jpg

Hi, technology appears to have left me behind again, I am not receiving email updates of postings and at present not certain how to post , having said that have not read all the instructions ,
Best Wishes , John

Neil,

Is it possible to insert a table using the new system. I pasted a table from word (after saving in html format), but when I saved the post, all the table formatting was deleted. I resorted to attaching a pdf in the end but it would be nice if tables were possible in the body of a post.

John

Hi John,

I have just tried doing this by embedding html and it doesn't work, so I think the answer is no.

Xenforo will be doing a major update by the end of the year and it will include a better text editor. It may be that I can find a better editor as an add on, and I will keep an eye out, but don't hold your breath!

Kindest

Neil

Neil,

Don't know what CMS is being used, but I manage a website built with Joomla and that has an editor that does cope with tables, so it is possible. I will try and find out what it is.

John

John it is not a CMS like Joomla, but a proprietary bulletin board technology.

V 1.2 will feature a better editor, but will still not include tables. This is because the forum stores BB codes not raw html codes. Sorry.

Kindest

Neil

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for finding this. I have had a look and it fails for me on several counts:
1) It is very beta indeed
2) It uses BB code not html - this is the problem with BB technology
3) Training members to use it would be a nightmare given the complexity - it is not "cut and paste" compliant!

A great try - thanks so much, but we need to think again at the moment

Kindest

Neil

Ah well, then I'd recommend to the users that tables are either ASCII encoded (using [code]..[/code]) , or uploaded as a screen shot. Neither's a great replacement for an in-line table, but to be honest, the number of tables to be uploaded is pretty small.

For example:
Code:
column 1          column 2
row 1             row 1
row 2             row 2

Hi Hugh,

It ok for us, but I am worried about the average member!

Kindest

Neil

Having got the hang of specifying the 'alerts' that I want, I notice that the system saves a history of 'received alerts'. I would have thought there would be a way of either actively deleting them, or setting a parameter that deletes them after a period, or somesuch. However I can't see any option other than to let them accumulate for ever. Or am I missing something?

Dick I set it to disappear automatically once read after about a day. It should all go honestly! Let me know if you have problems

Kindest

Neil

This software is generally very good but why does it sometimes give a warning that the resource limit has been reached and tells you to try again later. A bit annoying when you just typed a reply!

Roger,

It is nothing to do with the software.

That seems to happen when I am doing backups.

I do this because we lost the forum through what may have been malicious hacking, although it has not been proved. Being of a nervous disposition, I now do backups up to 3 times a day until the cause of the first outage can be established.

It is a bit more nerve wracking then loosing the odd typed post!

Kindest

Neil

Thanks Neil. Keep up the good work

Dear Neil

I just thought I would compliment you and everyone else that put effort into creating the new Forum.

Fantastic job - well done - and thank you !

Kind regards
Russ

Neil,
Email notifications for new threads do not contain the thread's subject in the email title but the replies do. Would it be possible to include the subject of the (new) thread in the Email title?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

It may be possible to hack the php, but I will upgrade us to a newer version in Sept, so am holding off doing his kind of thing now. The other reason is that I am sailing!

Kind regards

Neil

Morning, Neil

Do you know if any future upgrade will include a specific template for mobile devices?

InfoExchange is addictive, and I often use my phone for it, so it would be a very useful option to have an information layout tailored for mobile devices.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes there is rumour to that effect, I will try and put it in if it looks ok.

Which kind of mobile do you use?

Hi Neil,

Primarily iPhone 5, but I also use my iPad which is fine with the desktop style.

Mobile specific view isn't a big deal, but I imagine if you have access to analytics on traffic to the domain there might be an identifiable mobile device audience, and it may be worth implementing if any future mobile functionality looks OK.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael/Neil,

I tend to strongly prefer android, but it shouldn't make any difference as it's the layout of the pages that's important. I agree with Neil, I tend to browse the forums by phone or tablet, and less so from the laptop - it's a matter of what's immediately available.

But the principle requirements for a mobile template is generic between all the smart phone types: cut the fancy bits, simplify the interface (think pudgy fingers on small screens) and only put the important content on the screen in a font that's legible (or at least configurable). So I wouldn't waste time on investigating the types of mobiles too much.

Would be very happy to help out.
Hugh

I think there are responsive templates in v 1.2.2 but I must make sure the CSS maintains a reasonable width for non mobile devices - but we all know that that is easy - normally!

The reason I asked about which make of phone is that Apple rather neatly shrink pages but I don't know about the other OSs

I won't upgrade until we have returned from the boat in a couple of weeks

Kindest

Neil

Sounds good, Neil.

All you need to work on now is stirring up an Apple-esque pre-release frenzy to have us salivating for weeks...!

Regards

Michael

This is a test to check emails - all please ignore but let me know if you receive a notification please

Same here.

Paul

Please kindly post any tips or tricks you have learned using this forum - we all need to learn

Kindest

Neil
I have posted several

Kindest

Neil
I have posted several items in the MOA Forums in the past, and now want to post another. However, despite searching high and low, I haven't been able to find a link to let me do that ...... please help !

Is there some secret to be able to go to the forum of your own boat. I'd like to see posts for the Eclipse 33 and haven't found a way to make just those posts show up. I'll check my default browsing settings and see if there is something there......

Hi Richard - it all works fine on computers and tablets, message me with your problem or phone number to discuss

Kindest

Neil

Hi Paul,

The thread you quote is from our old system, however some of the images were saved and I have laboured long to restore them. Have a look now!

Let me know about others you need

Kindest

Neil

Hi Neil,
thank you very much for this, and I hope you didn't labour too long! The battery thread makes more sense now. I have a number of improvements to make on the boat (bought last October) so the discussions and contributions on the forum are extremely useful and interesting. Hopefully I will also be able to contribute soon.
regards
Paul

Hi Neil
How do I navigate to area which used to house all the Moody boat specs?
David

David, click on the area of the banner where it shows 'Moody Owners Association' and the Moody flag. This will bring up the main home page. Then click on 'Home' at the l/hand end of that page's tool bar. The drop-down menu which appears includes a link to the Moody archive.

Dick
Thanks!

David

Back