1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin Keel Performance

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Jim Bennett, 16/6/17.

1. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Jim Bennett Registered Guest

Hello all

I am seriously thinking about buying a 31Mk 2 or S 31. I would prefer twin keels because they give far more options here on the west coast but I don't want to sacrifice much windward performance. I have owned a Hunter 32 with twin keels which was good but not so good as claimed in my experience. I've also read that Moodys perform well, and the S31 is better than the Mk 2. I'd be grateful if you can share your experience. How much better will a fin keel 31 point, and is the S31 significantly better? Anything else you think I should consider would be gratefully received. Many thanks. Jim Bennett.

2. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    I sailed a twin-keel S31 for over 10 years, lovely sailing boat. Saw off bigger fin-keel yachts upwind a few times! Most definitely faster that the older 31.
    Note there were two rigs - most were masthead, but there are some fractionals about as well. Possibly most of the fractionals were fin keelers as they would tend to be bought by folk interested in racing.

3. Jim Bennett

Thanks that's really interesting. When you say faster than the older boats is that because the S 31 is better to windward or just more easily driven? How might an S31 compare with a fin keel Mk 2?

4. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    The S31 is a completely different boat to the M31, Jim - different hull, different interior layout, different rig. Less stowage probably than the older 31 because of the more modern open layout. Some had wheel steering, mine had a tiller, and I was very happy with that.
    Bilge keelers are fine upwind, although they tend to make a little more leeway than a fin equivalent. They don't fare so well to windward in a big chop with a lot of wind, I guess, although I found even then if you got the S31 'in the groove', the right amount of sail area and well trimmed to keep the boat pretty flat, she really did go.

5. Paul Trematick

Paul Trematick Paul Trematick

Boat name:
    VISION
    Berth:
    Caernarfon
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    North Wales
  6. Jim Bennett

That's very helpful Dick, thanks. I'll look more carefully at the specs of the two boats. Paul, as a guest I don't seem to be allowed to view the link, but thanks anyway.