Moody 376 type of resin used for hull

Philippe Truchet

Temporary Member
hello,
Expert evaluation just finished, and hygrometic measurement indicates a saturated level of humidity on a limited part of the hull. There are no blisters , but it seems that osmosis can be active without producing blisters, depending of gel coat porosity and quality. My question is to know what kind of resin was used for this 1990 boat (Orthophthalic or Isophthalic or other ...?) to evaluate the real impact of this humidity level before buying decision.

Thanks for your responses , ans sorry for my "french" english.

Philippe

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Moodys of that era were laid up using isophthalic gel coat resin in a temperature and humidity controlled workshop. The gel coat thickness is generous compared with modern yacht construction. I don't know what resin was used for the rest of the lay up, but I imagine it would have been a standard orthophthalic resin.

The construction methods have resulted in the aging stock of yachts produced by Marine Projects being much more resistant than most of that era to osmosis, but no grp hull will remain immune to this problem forever if not cared for.

Peter

Philippe Truchet

Temporary Member
Moodys of that era were laid up using isophthalic gel coat resin in a temperature and humidity controlled workshop. The gel coat thickness is generous compared with modern yacht construction. I don't know what resin was used for the rest of the lay up, but I imagine it would have been a standard orthophthalic resin.

The construction methods have resulted in the aging stock of yachts produced by Marine Projects being much more resistant than most of that era to osmosis, but no grp hull will remain immune to this problem forever if not cared for.

Peter
Thanks you for your detailed answer

Philippe

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Philippe
To go on from what Peter has said I think they used isophthalic resins for lay up as well by that time but if you want confirmation you could call Mike Lucas of Mike Lucas Yachting as he was Production Director at Marine Projects at that time
Regards
Peter

Philippe Truchet

Temporary Member
Hi Peter

Nice suggestion, but I check in the member list and found Lucas names, but not Mike. Do you know how to contact him ?

Many thanks . Philippe

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Philippe
Good, but here are his contact details just in case. He's not a Moody owner. After Marine Projects he was the MD of Sadler and is now the recognised expert, and main broker, for the make. Tel: +44 7717 885435 e-mail mike@mikelucasyachting.co.uk
Regards
Peter

Philippe Truchet

Temporary Member
Hi Philippe
Good, but here are his contact details just in case. He's not a Moody owner. After Marine Projects he was the MD of Sadler and is now the recognised expert, and main broker, for the make. Tel: +44 7717 885435 e-mail mike@mikelucasyachting.co.uk
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter
I've been in phone contact with Mike. His reponse can interest other members of the association : hulls build from 1988 used Isophthalic resin.
Regards