Moody 34 VAT on older boats

Rob Mains

ROB MAINS
Registered Guest
Hi, I am looking very closely at a 1986 Moody 34 and have concerns about the VAT and not having proof of it having been paid.
Do I understand correctly that this yacht would have been built in UK? I believe the part 1 registration is available and the yacht has been registered in UK and Germany during its life. Does this part 1 registration mean that this is the first owner from new like a first car registration?
I can't get details from the broker if the boat was sold from new to UK resident or a German resident however he can tell me that all owners have been individuals not companies and the boat has never been chartered.
If it was sold to a UK resident and was built in UK then would that be enough get something from HMRC to prove the VAT would have been paid at the time of purchase?
Or if I buy from an individual now who is resident in UK and obtain a bill of sale would that be enough? I understand that a yacht of this age will probably not be asked to prove VAT payment but would like to be aware of the implications if confronted. Does anyone have any experience of being asked to produce the VAT receipt on a boat of this age while sailing in the EU? I am no longer a UK resident and would probably need to register the boat in the other EU state were I live or would it be possible to keep the registration in the UK?
Would be very interested to have some feedback.
Thanks
Rob

Paul Mear

Paul Mear
Boat name
GUSTO
Berth
Shotley Marina
Boat type
Moody 31 MkI
Cruising area
East Coast
Rob,

I have no experience of doing this but I understand that there is good guidance available on the RYA web site.
Paul

Ian Brearley

Ian Brearley
Boat name
SERAPHINA
Berth
Spain / Mediterranean
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Spain / Mediterranean
Hi Rob,

Whether you can register the yacht in the UK is answered by following the links in this web page
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

If you register the yacht in the UK then you can retrospectively get T2L declaration from HMRC that says VAT paid.

Bills of sale would be required for both.

This yacht will have been built in the UK.

Regards,
Ian

Rob Mains

ROB MAINS
Registered Guest
Thanks Paul and Ian for your replies. The broker has told me that he has original bill of sales for the boat going back to 2008, quote,
"Twice the yacht was accepted onto the British Part I Registry – that requires 5 years of providence, official tonnage measurements, declarations of eligibility, etc.
In between it went onto German Registry and thereafter back onto British Registry - Part III (SSR). Therefore – accepted by both Britain & Germany with the documentation provided."
I am informed that the current owner is British so according to the info I have read from RYA and HMRC if the latest "chargeable event" is between 2 UK individuals then it is the concern of HMRC and as the boat is old and was built in UK it would be considered to have had the VAT paid. as it has remained in EU all its life I don't think there is anything more I can do and I have yet to read about anyone being questioned by a customs official on such an old boat. My only concern is trying to register it in Cyprus. Does anyone have any experience with boat registration there on a second hand boat?
Thanks
Rob