• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

volvo ms2b gearbox (downangle) 2.37 reduction

John Southcott

John Southcott
Boat name
BRISE
Berth
Dunstaffnage
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde, Irish Sea, W Isles
My box has a problem with the gear selector quadrant and supporting housing . I went through the Crinan canal and about 10 miles later coming in to an anchorage heard a fairly loud bang and the boat stopped . A fellow Moody member helped us get to Craobh marina. Possibly gears/splines . It's not the cables. The local engineer found that the selector was very stiff and housing difficult to remove and found a broken shaft in the selector housing ;part of which is in the box.He thinks it might be better to get a 2nd hand box.. It's a 1990-91 eclipse 33 with a 2003T engine. I've found 2 boxes on ebay which could fit the bill and I'm enquiring about. I couldn't find anything with various firms I phoned.
Any suggestions? The box is coming out in a few days.
Thanks,John

Mike Turpin

Mike Turpin
Boat name
AQUAHOLIC
Berth
Southampton
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
South Coast
Hi John,
If its just your gear selector I have an MS2B gearbox with worn splines and could dismantle just the parts you need.

John Southcott

John Southcott
Boat name
BRISE
Berth
Dunstaffnage
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde, Irish Sea, W Isles
Hi John,
If its just your gear selector I have an MS2B gearbox with worn splines and could dismantle just the parts you need.
Hi Mike, I located a gearbox on ebay on Saturday last. It's being replaced due a different engine being fitted. It's the same service number,2.37 reduction and downangle. Shaft splines are OK. Working fine at removal apparently. SO!!! It's being delivered on Wednesday and being fitted soon after. I'll let you know if I still have a problem. Thanks so much for your kind offer.
Cheers,John