Boat name
SMALL CONSOLATION
Berth
Cleopatra Marina, Preveza
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Ionian
I have replaced my Volvo Penta 1987, 2003, 28 hp engine and gearbox with a new Volvo D1- 30. so the original 2003 is for sale.
The engine has been well looked after and has a new fresh water pump. The gearbox was replaced last year with the modified version. I am willing to sell the engine and gearbox separably. I have now replaced the engine and the old one is available for sale in Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, mainland Greece.
Please note that the engine has snapped flywheel bolts that can be removed. I may consider selling the parts of the engine separately. Contact Te;l 07974413224

Martin Williams

Martin Williams
Boat name
MAREVERDE
Berth
Aberystwyth Marina
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Cardigan Bay
How much do you want for the Penta 2003?

Spiridion Azzopardi

Spiridion Azzopardi
Boat name
SMALL CONSOLATION
Berth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Martin,

I am asking £600 for the engine only. The gearbox is for sale separately for £350.
If you have any further questions please let me know.
Thank you for your interest,

Spiridion

Martin Williams

Martin Williams
Boat name
MAREVERDE
Berth
Aberystwyth Marina
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Cardigan Bay
The reason I am enquiring is that I have a Moody 31 mkII with a Volvo Penta 2003. Unfortunately there is a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust when it starts up. There is less smoke when it warms up but it is always there. There is also some raw diesel in the exhaust output too. I have been advised that it needs to be rebuilt and that it would be better to replace it completely. My internet enquiries have revealed that a new Penta would cost me around £7k-£8k including installation or a new Beta around £4k-£5k plus installation so £600 sounds like a good alternative. Of course, my boat is in Mid-Wales so I would need to get it shipped to the UK. Let me find out the details of my current gearbox and get back to you.

Martin Williams

Martin Williams
Boat name
MAREVERDE
Berth
Aberystwyth Marina
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Cardigan Bay
Spiridion,

I have been talking to the tech services at my marina about replacing my engine. They said that nobody goes to the effort and expense of changing engines just for the sake of it, but they do it because there is some problem with the old engine (as in my case). Therefore, can you explain why you replaced the Volvo Penta engine? What was wrong with it that made you do so?

Martin

Spiridion Azzopardi

Spiridion Azzopardi
Boat name
SMALL CONSOLATION
Berth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Martin,
Initially the gearbox splines were striped at sea during bad weather and although the engine was still running , I had no drive to the propeller. I then bought and fitted a another gearbox with modified system that negates the need to use splines. I was at sea for 2 days with the new gearbox without problems. Then without warning, the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft sheared causing the engine to stop. This is the reason I decided to replace the engine and gearbox. I have stated in the ad that the bolts had sheared and the remnants are still in the crankshaft flange.

Spiridion