Boat name
NIKITA
Berth
Tollesbury
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
East Coast
Due to some severe galvanic corrosion I need to replace my 2 bladed fixed prop (and also prop shaft..!) on my Moody 31 with a new one.
If any one has replaced theirs with a folding prop and still has the old one in the shed I would be interested.
Thanks

Martin Courtis

Martin Courtis
Boat name
TUI
Berth
Anywhere
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
UK, West Coast France
What size is your prop and shaft. I have one that came off a 376. May be too large for you but??? You never know.

Martin

Simon Hale

Simon Hale
Boat name
BARLEY WINE
Berth
Fleetlands, Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 30
Cruising area
Solent
Hi Ian. I have a 3 blade prop from a Volvo SD120 saildrive on a Moody 30. It was too just big for my Moody 30 so may be just what you are after!

Ian Coward

Ian Coward
Boat name
NIKITA
Berth
Tollesbury
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
East Coast
What size is your prop and shaft. I have one that came off a 376. May be too large for you but??? You never know.

Martin
Thanks Martin
Think it maybe too big , but as my prop has been badly corroded I cannt really tell the dimensions

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi ian,

A good rule of thumb for sailing yachts is to go for a clearance of at least 10% of prop diameter between the blade tip and the bottom of the hull. So, assuming you have your boat ashore, measure the distance from the centre of the shaft to the bottom of the hull in a direction perpendicular to the shaft at the position of the prop. Multiply the result by 1.67 and that's the largest diameter I would install. Although a larger diameter prop will fit, you risk getting a lot more prop noise and certainly reduced prop efficiency.

Once you know what diameter you want, It's best to trust the prop supplier to choose the pitch for which you will need to supply the boat model, the max engine power and rpm at which it is delivered and the gearbox ahead ratio. At least that way, if the pitch turns out wrong, it's the suppliers job to put it right, although prop manufacturers are generally pretty good at this black art.

Peter.

Last edited:

Clive Bridges

Clive Bridges
Boat name
HONEY B
Berth
Killyleagh
Boat type
Moody 33 MkII
Cruising area
Strangford Lough
have a 11x9 two blade prop l/h 1" shaft came off m33 £20 plus postage

Brian Robertson

Brian Robertson
Boat name
TIDECATCHER
Berth
Granton, Edinburgh
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Scotland East Coast
Ian,
I am in the process of replacing my VP2003 engine in my M31 with a Beta30 (the engine is on e-bay now) and I am also going to have to replace my propeller (change of rotation). I therefore have a two bladed prop available. I took it off the boat last weekend and I now have it at home and it looks to me to be in good condition.
Get back in touch if you are interested. Mob: 07340 208528,

best regards,

Brian

Last edited:

Ian Coward

Ian Coward
Boat name
NIKITA
Berth
Tollesbury
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
East Coast
Ian,
I am in the process of replacing my VP2003 engine in my M31 with a Beta30 (the engine is on e-bay now) and I am also going to have to replace my propeller (change of rotation). I therefore have a two bladed prop available. I took it off the boat last weekend and I now have it at home and it looks to me to be in good condition.
Get back in touch if you are interested. Mob: 07340 208528,

best regards,

Brian
Thanks Brian interested in the prop - thanks will give you a call
Ian

Ian Coward

Ian Coward
Boat name
NIKITA
Berth
Tollesbury
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi ian,

A good rule of thumb for sailing yachts is to go for a clearance of at least 10% of prop diameter between the blade tip and the bottom of the hull. So, assuming you have your boat ashore, measure the distance from the centre of the shaft to the bottom of the hull in a direction perpendicular to the shaft at the position of the prop. Multiply the result by 1.67 and that's the largest diameter I would install. Although a larger diameter prop will fit, you risk getting a lot more prop noise and certainly reduced prop efficiency.

Once you know what diameter you want, It's best to trust the prop supplier to choose the pitch for which you will need to supply the boat model, the max engine power and rpm at which it is delivered and the gearbox ahead ratio. At least that way, if the pitch turns out wrong, it's the suppliers job to put it right, although prop manufacturers are generally pretty good at this black art.

Peter.
Hi ian,

Peter.
Thanks for that info Peter -really useful ..will have a measure this weekend