1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a reminder that you MUST provide contact details if you post a For Sale or Wanted notice. The reason is that non members have access to read your advert, but can't post, so if you don't provide details, they can't contact you to buy or sell.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted Mood 346 Bilge Keel

Discussion in 'Boats For Sale / Wanted' started by Tyrone Thomas, 18/11/17.

1. Tyrone Thomas

Tyrone Thomas Tyrone Thomas Temporary Member

Hi forum

Im looking for a Moody 346 Bilge keel,Not bothered about fancy electronics,The boat must be good condition and not require any major work,

No brokers/Dealers

This is a private purchase,Could trade sports car and cash for right boat

Contact my email

tyrothomas@hotmail.co.uk

Mobile. Tyrone 07775812327

2. Tyrone Thomas

Hello forum

Im looking for a moody 346 what has a survey report i can examine

Has the rigging been changed

Has the baby stay modification been done

Has the water tanks been cleaned out

Has the keel bolts been inspected

Has the chain plates been looked at

Condition of sails etc etc

Ive even contacted a broker 3 times now through email asking for a survey report on a moody up for sale and not heard anything,Whats going off dont they want to sell your boat?

3. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Tyrone,

The most common approach to yacht purchase in the UK is to find the boat you want and agree a price "subject to survey" then the buyer commissions a survey at his expense. If the survey reveals any significant defect not previously disclosed by the vendor, the buyer may either ask for the defect to be remedied before purchase or seek a reduction in price so that he may remedy the defect after purchase.

By seeking only a boat which has a (presumably up to date) survey, you may be excluding several worthwhile examples from your search.

Hope this helps.

Peter

4. Tyrone Thomas

Hi Peter

Thanks for your input,Ive been following your posts,I know your a knowledgeable man

kind regards

Tyrone

5. Tyrone Thomas

Hello Forum

Its all very well though expecting a potential buyer to cough up for a survey report,when there are lots of boats for sale,So the cost of these surveys would amount to a lot of money been spent looking at a few potential boats for sale.
    How many of you would look at cars for sale without a MOT certificate? And then this does not prove the car is really fit for the road?Cos we all have bent mates who will pass them.

If i was selling a boat i would get a survey done so i could show a potential buyer that at least the boat has been looked at?

And then we can make a Judgement on this,Unless of course you all have buyers queuing up for your boats of course

6. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Tyrone,

The main reason that buyers commission there own survey is for the very reason you give for MOT tests not being a reliable measure of the condition of a car. If the vendor commissions the survey, the surveyor is acting on his behalf. In practice, a buyer very rarely ends up paying for more than one survey, I've been buying and selling boats for over 50 years and have never paid for more than one per purchase, although in the early years the boats weren't worth much more than the cost of a survey, so I didn't bother.

I do however spend some time (and travel) inspecting various boats on the market before making an offer on one "subject to survey" and then make sure the surveyor has a written brief from me. While no surveyor has found a fault sufficient for me to pull out of a purchase, they have found defects I missed which have either been rectified before sale or led to reduction in price. For instance, neither the surveyor nor vendor was able to establish the age of the standing rigging on our current yacht, so the surveyor recommended replacement. The vendor had little choice but to accept the finding and replace all the standing rigging at no cost to us.

A marine survey is quite unlike a MOT test. The MOT involves a tightly prescribed set of tests on a vehicle which, if honestly conducted, will yield the same answer in any test station. There is no equivalent for a yacht - a surveyor has much more freedom as to what and how he inspects on the vessel, but then puts his personal reputation on the line each time he signs a report. If he makes a poor survey, word soon travels and if he is negligent he will find himself in trouble with his professional association and may be sued in a civil court.

I'm afraid the way you would choose to sell a boat is not the route taken by the majority in this market so, as I said before, by only considering those with a (recent) survey report, you are missing out on many good boats.

Peter

7. Tyrone Thomas

Hello Peter

Thanks for your input again,Ive been in contact with Jeff who is selling his moody 346 bk,I will be going to see it in march while it is out of the water,And maybe i can talk business with him regarding a surveyor and any work what needs to be done with his yacht,His boat fits my criteria,Im wanting to live on it

Kind regards

Tyrone

8. Tyrone Thomas

Hello Forum

There is a moody 346 Bk advertised on Apollo Duck,What says it has a survey,, Berthed in a marina on the Hamble .
    Insurance survey done 5.7.16. available to see,,Ive sent 4 emails to this outfit and left 2 messages,The yachts name is Englands Lady,,Im sure the yacht owner will be pleased they are doing noting to sell your yacht

9. Trevor Howard

Trevor Howard Trevor Howard

Boat name:
    DIAMOND LADY
    Berth:
    Conwy
    Boat type:
    Moody 33S
    Cruising area:
    Irish Sea
    Hi Tyrone.
    I'm totally agree with Peter.
    I have just had a survey completed for my M33s both for the purchase and the insurance.
    The insurance provider has now told me that they do not require a further survey for another 10 years.
    So if i was to place my boat on the market in 5 years time there would not have been a survey completed in the past 5 years.
    Therefore a potential purchaser would click past my boat, and miss out on a good purchase.
    As a boat owner I am not going to throw money at a survey for my own boat when I know the condition of her. Id rather buy something for the boat which would make my sailing experience even more enjoyable.

10. Tyrone Thomas

Hello Trevor

Thank you for you input

Ive just seen a copy of John Cherry survey report,What i have not told this forum is that i am from a strong engineering back ground myself,Im also a welder with my own equipment,I will be purchasing a Tramex moisture meter,also a 7 x magnification eye glass and a 7 oz tapping hammer,I will also use a compression meter to check the state of the engine,Which i notice is not in the report,,Has you say who wants to throw 500 quid away when im more than capable of doing this myself,It seems to me that that these survey reports are just a licence to print money form those who dont know the score?

Would a insurance company accept my own report typed up with more information to what i am seeing ?

Kind Regards

Tyrone

11. Tyrone Thomas

12. Donald Beaton

Donald Beaton Donald Beaton

Boat name:
    AJA
    Berth:
    Kames, Tighnabruaich
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    W Scotland
    Tyrone

That link and information may well apply to surveys in the US, but I would only let a surveyor that has proper accredited qualifications and indemnity insurance anywhere near my boat with a hammer and compression test meter. Sorry, but that is the way these things work.

Good luck with your search.
    Regards
    Donald

13. Tyrone Thomas

Hello Donald

Thanks for your input

Ive seen 2 surveys Off John Cherry now for potential boats im looking at,And on both these surveys he has claimed to have left a spanner on board so he cannot check gear box level oil? This might be soon kind of joke or standard practice?

My hard earned cash will not be going on any old boat if i cannot do a thorough survey myself,And looking at the Yacht market and marina costs all i can say is Yacht owners must have money to blow,Do car sellers let you tap the body work to check for filler etc etc?,,Times are changing

Kind Regards

Tyrone

14. Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens Steve Clemens

Boat name:
    PISCES OF FOWEY
    Berth:
    Gouvia
    Boat type:
    Moody S31
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    On the subject of surveys, the survey report belongs to the person who commissioned the survey report and he would normally have signed a disclaimer for the surveyor to the effect that the survey report is not to be released to a third party. There are many reasons why this is the case, the main one being liability issues for the surveyor. Reputable surveyors, particularly those that are members of the YDSA undergo a lot of training throughout their career and as Peter commented earlier put their reputation on the line for each report.

Many experienced buyers/sellers are happy to conduct private negotiations and do so very successfully. However the process can be fraught with problems, some of which may not manifest themselves until further down the line, when you perhaps try and sell the boat. If you are new to the game of buying and selling, then I would recommend that you use a broker and learn from him.

At the end of the day, you are buying a boat upon which your life may depend, it it therefore important that you get it right and in my view DIY surveying is not the way to go.