Moody 29 Wanted Moody 29. Bilge Keel Or 31MK II. Updated August. Still looking. Please. Thank you.

Flint Elgie

Flint Elgie
Temporary Member
WANTED. Moody 29. Bilge Keel (or good example of 31)
Help. My 7 year old daughter (please see photo attached) has threatened to disown me if I do not get her afloat. She has set her heart upon a Moody 29 or 31 (Mommy likes them too).
Please if you would consider selling yours to a nice young family I would be grateful to hear from you.
Thank you.
Flint Elgie (pa)
Mobile: 07813 312653
Email: flintmarine@yahoo.co.uk
Email: flintmarine@yahoo.co.uk
Help. We need a Moody 29..jpg

Last edited:

Graham Allan

Graham Allan
Boat name
SEA HOLLY
Berth
Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 28
Cruising area
Solent
Out of interest, why a moody 29 and not a 28?

Flint Elgie

Flint Elgie
Temporary Member
Hello Graham
The interior of the 29 seems to make the Mrs smile and the children giggle for sheer volume (and I've given up thinking about 'sailing' and accepted that I'm now looking for a floating camper). In short of all the vessels we have viewed the family felt most comfortable with the 29 (even more so than the 31!.)
Thank you.
Best
flint

Graham Allan

Graham Allan
Boat name
SEA HOLLY
Berth
Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 28
Cruising area
Solent
I saw that M31 - but this put me off..

"The bow roller has had previous impact damage and a GRP repair is needed to strengthen and reinforce the area. This accident happened over 10 years ago and has not caused any issues. However, we feel it is incumbent upon us to mention it as we are now aware of it. Further, the forward keel bolt has evidence of surface corrosion and a also needs attention. There are no signs of movement in the keel, but the seal not being sound on the front 6 inches has led to the sea water 'flushing' into the area surrounding the first bolt. The keel bolts are 6 years old. "

Pete Rowland

Peter Rowland
Boat name
APRIL LASS
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
Agreed and perhaps that's reflected in the asking price. The bow could be just a simple GRP repair from the inside of the anchor locker. Photos of the outside don't look too bad. The keel, well a surveyor may be needed, but if its a drop and re-seal that could be okay. The replacement engine is a nice to have.

Worth noting there doesn't appear to be any hot or cold pressurized water to the heads or sink.

Graham Allan

Graham Allan
Boat name
SEA HOLLY
Berth
Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 28
Cruising area
Solent
Agreed and perhaps that's reflected in the asking price. The bow could be just a simple GRP repair from the inside of the anchor locker. Photos of the outside don't look too bad. The keel, well a surveyor may be needed, but if its a drop and re-seal that could be okay. The replacement engine is a nice to have.

Worth noting there doesn't appear to be any hot or cold pressurized water to the heads or sink.
Totally - for the right buyer, i think it's a bargain. it's a shame its so far away from me (Portsmouth) to go see it. It's also a Fin keel too. Sorry Flint if i have hijacked your post

Flint Elgie

Flint Elgie
Temporary Member
Flint, one for sale in Plymouth with bilge keels, so could be parked on the beach. Your summer holiday could be spent bringing her back to Gosport.

https://plymouth.boatshed.com/dosearch.php?bq={}&q=moody%2029

However, for the same money there is: https://plymouth.boatshed.com/moody_31_mkii-boat-266262.html which has two cabins and a newish engine.
Hello Pete
I did look into the Plymouth based bilge keeler...condition was pretty tired.
And I'm with Graham regards the comments upon the 31MKII (which I would have considered the 'damage' but had she been a bilge keeler).
Thank you so very much for keeping an eye out for me, I have very nearly given up on this season BUT am still hopeful that something will emerge from the latter stages of the cycle.
Best
flint

Flint Elgie

Flint Elgie
Temporary Member
Graham
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you both for letting me take so much of your time in looking at your 28. I will get back to you again regards getting the Mrs (and perhaps smalls aboard) for a few minutes...teething still happening here so waiting for the screaming to stop.
Best and thank you again.
flint