• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody 64 We are in the process of becoming a Moody owner.

David Wyatt

David Wyatt
Registered Guest
Hi to any Moody 64 owners or previous owners.
My wife and I are near to the purchase of a Moody 64 and have a few questions for anyone who has had experience on these large yachts. We are hoping to cruise Australian coastal then out into the Pacific Ocean over the next few years.
We would like some feedback on the sea handling and general seaworthiness of this vessel in adverse conditions and how they handle under auto pilot, particularly in following seas.
This particular Yacht is a shoal 2.1m or 7ft draft with a massive wide bulb. Being a short reasonabley long keel I was wondering how much leeway would it make.
If there is any other issues regarding sails, engineering, steering systems, etc that anyone could inform us on, this would be much appreciated.
Looking forward to being a MOA member soon.
Cheers,
Dave

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
General Committee
GC Support Team
MOA Position
Website Editor
Boat name
CUTAWAY
Berth
Vannes
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
David - sorry but we dont have many Moody 64s on our roster, but we are all envious of you being able to acquire such a lovely boat. Hopefully you will become our guru.

Having said that there is much similarity between many Moody models. I suspect you won't get more than the average leeway, I wouldn't worry about shoal keels, they generally perform almost as well as a fin.

Pete Rowland

Peter Rowland
Boat name
APRIL LASS
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
David, as Neil has pointed out the large Moodys are quite rare. However, I have friend with the first M54, who unfortunately isn't currently a member of the MOA. you will find him over on CF: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f33/greenland-east-coast-196504.html. Cross linking forums isn't a normal practice, but you need someone with a large Moody who had pushed the boat and done some miles.

He normally spends his summers up in the Northern Baltic but for a change is going to Greenland this year. I was invited, but Her Majesty might be upset if I disappeared for the whole summer.

This M54 is hard sailed and has done 20,000 miles of North Sea and high latitude Baltic sailing in the past few years so he is in a good position to advise, but you need to be quick for he departs 1 May 18 on the first leg to Scotland.

Peter

David Wyatt

David Wyatt
Registered Guest
Neil, thank you for your feedback and positive thoughts regarding the M64. I have done plenty of research on Hull shape and heavy weather sailing and this yacht seems to fit the bill for reasonable sea handling.
As there was only 14 of this style built between 2002-04, I was not expecting a great deal of response.
I am heading back to Sydney next week to do sea trials hopefully with some wind and sea to get the feel of her.

Peter, thanks for the link, I will check it out and look at the M54 that sounds like a similar vintage.
I’m sure after 20000 nM in those waters she’s had a few solid shake downs.
Good sailing and thanks again for your time.
Cheers, Dave.
Hobart, Tasmania

Adam Grater

Adam Grater
Boat name
CORNSILK
Berth
Oare Creek
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Uk and France
Dave - I crewed a 64 on an Atlantic crossing - if you would like to pm me I will be happy to share some oberservations

David Wyatt

David Wyatt
Registered Guest
Hi Adam, it would be nice to hear about your passage across the Atlantic.
How would you like to converse, email or I can call you by phone at a time that suits.
My Email is davewyatt4@bigpond.com
Up to you if you’re happy to write or send me a contact number including area codes and a suitable time, your time, I’ll work out the difference and give you a call.
Cheers, Dave

Boat name
SPINDRIFT
Berth
Greece
Boat type
Moody 64
Cruising area
Mediterranean
Hi Adam, it would be nice to hear about your passage across the Atlantic.
How would you like to converse, email or I can call you by phone at a time that suits.
My Email is davewyatt4@bigpond.com
Up to you if you’re happy to write or send me a contact number including area codes and a suitable time, your time, I’ll work out the difference and give you a call.
Cheers, Dave
Hi Dave,

I am a Moody 64 owner and have been to Antartica and the Pacific and New Zealand. Mine is set up for serious long distance cruising and I have been very happy over 75,000 miles or so.
I'm putting mine on the market this summer. Not as young as I used to be.

David Wyatt

David Wyatt
Registered Guest
Hi Dave,

I am a Moody 64 owner and have been to Antartica and the Pacific and New Zealand. Mine is set up for serious long distance cruising and I have been very happy over 75,000 miles or so.
I'm putting mine on the market this summer. Not as young as I used to be.
Thanks David, it sounds like you have done some serious cruising on Spindrift. We are looking forward to many miles of Pacific, Australia and New Zealand sailing.
Cheers, Dave