Moody S31 What should I know before buying an S31?

Robin Ellis

Robin Ellis
Boat name
HUMSAFAR 2
Berth
Antalya, Turkey
Boat type
Moody Excel 31
Cruising area
Turkey
I'm interested in buying an S31 that's for sale here in Turkey. Any advice on things I should be aware of of? What are the pros and cons of the S31?

First up, is it an Excel 31 built by Prout or a standard S31 built by Marine Projects. If it is the former, it is most likely to be an ex charter and well used. I'm not sure that the build quality is as good as MPs. As you know, VAT has become an important issue, it is likely that the UK VAT status will be lost, but is it EU VAT paid? This could also be lost if you buy in Turkey.

Check the keel for any signs of grounding
Rigging age
Engine hours
Sail drive seal
Look for crazing which can be an indication of bumps and knocks
Condition of gel coat, the med sun is not kind to coatings
Ditto sails and canvas, it is the stitching that goes first.
Bilge and in particular condition of keel bolts, the bolts themselves are usually ok, but if left unattended the heads and backing plates can get very badly corroded
Check for any leaks particularly through deck fittings. If left, water can get into the balsa core
In Turkey, I believe that you have to have a black and grey holding tank
The external light fittings may have suffered from UV damage, these are worth a check.

These are standard checks for any boat, particularly in the med. The S31 is a great boat, sail really well and are ideally suited for med cruising. We have had one in Greece for the last 11 years and usually spend 8 to 10 weeks on board cruising at any one time. We always moor stern-to and have never had a problem. However it is worth checking the transom inside and out because it can take a beating.

Most boats of this age will by now have had a few upgrades.

I really can't think of any serious cons, I do find the electrics panel a fiddle to work on.
Access to the engine is good and there is a decent amount of storage throughout.

I hope that helps, others may also comment.

Good luck, they really are great boats.

Steve

PS, I have posted a video of ours under sail elsewhere where in this forum, worth a look.

Back