Moody 422/425 What to look out for pre-survey on a M425?

Zoe Birchenough

ZOE BIRCHENOUGH
Temporary Member
My husband and I are hoping to view a Moody 425 soon. Our plan is to live aboard with our young family with a view to travelling to the Caribbean and beyond. We have not owned our own boat before so would be incredibly grateful for any insights as to what and where to look for any potentially expensive future problems. Many thanks, Zoe & Angus

Nitzan Sneh

Temporary Member
Hi Zoe & Angus,
I’ve been through the same process recently - actually still in the process with a 425. Great advises from few owners here. What I found important to look at are the chainplates leaks - looks like a common issue with 20+ year old boats. Check well any signs of leaks from tanks and I’ve heard about one rudder quadrant issue. Also the two large hatches were leaking - but this is a common issue with any old boat and fixing it is easy.
Other than these, was pleasantly surprised with the quality and condition - in my boat’s case, after 4 years on the hard with New England’s elements and a very modest level of maintenance over the last 10 years.

Nevertheless, hire a really good surveyor...

Best of luck!
Nitzan

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Zoe & Angus,

We have had Wild Thyme for 8 years now, and are very happy with her. The construction methods of many different Moodys of that era were the same, so the advice I offered on this thread:

http://moodyowners.info/threads/moody-38cc-pre-purchase-things-to-look-out-for.17167/

regarding a Moody 38 is all equally applicable to a M425.

The key things I missed there are the tanks. On the M425, the fresh water tanks, under the saloon settees, are aluminium and the fuel tank, under the starboard side of the aft cabin berth, is mild steel. It's worth checking the condition of all of them.

Peter.

p.s. I found a similar post regarding M419, which is really an earlier version of the M425, here:

http://moodyowners.info/threads/moody-419-things-to-control-pre-purchase.16427/#post-99710

P.

Last edited:

Tim Sealy

Tim Sealy
Boat name
PIERINA
Berth
Italy
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Mediteranean
Hi Zoe and Angus,

I think most things have already been covered here and on the links noted but as your situation seems similar to ours I just wanted to let you know that the 425 has worked out well for us as a family live aboard cruiser.

With our boat one of the biggest time consumers has been removing poorly fitted/wired/plumbed or just stuck on modifications and repairs which were definitely not performed as well as the rest of the build In Plymouth, so for us corrections and removals took a while.

So asides all the previous pointers I would also look for what has been done since launch and importantly how well was it performed as it’s likely nearing 30 years old so may of had a mixed history.
Also how’s the gel coat (colder climates are generally gentler on this aspect). Also if you go ahead do check the emergency tillers UJ’s below the plastic sleeve as this seems to be a general problem with some 425’s.
The age of the rig will likely also be an issue later with insurance if nothing else if it’s near or over 10 years old, but your surveyor should pick this up straight away. On that point, choose your surveyor carefully, for example how many Moodys of this era have they personally surveyed etc. It’s ok to ask.

All the best for the future

Tim