Moody 33S 33S fuel tank

David Eva

Temporary Member
I'm considering buying a 33S. It has a steel fuel tank, which I understand has never been replaced (1981). A survey done 4 years ago mentioned 'As part of her ongoing maintenance, clean, descale and re-paint the top of the tank'. Another friend of mine had a steel tank of a similar age leak diesel into his boat, so I'm looking into the possibility of changing the tank to stainless steel. The tank is located under the port side coaming locker hatch. I haven't measured it but think it might be possible to remove it through the hatchway. Any advice on doing this, including an idea of the cost of a new tank, or how to check for soundness of the existing tank would be gratefully received.
fuel tank.jpg

Hi David,
A lot depends on the condition of the tank, on how well it's been maintained, both externally and internally. The original steel tanks were solidly built, but localised corrosion can lead to leaks, which is bad news with diesel everywhere.
Is there any sign of water lying in the bottom of the locker and rust on the bottom of the tank?
If the diesel has had water build up and if it has not been cleaned out fairly regularly there is likely to be rust on the bottom on the inside. The most likely places for corrosion is either on the top (as you already know) or the bottom. Minor external surface rust could be treated. You could hammer test it to see if it sounds solid and pressure test it with a hydrostatic head of diesel up to the top of the filling line, but don't do that if there is any doubt as you don't want to be cleaning up diesel spillage.
Realistically, many Moody's of this age are likely to have been replaced with either stainless steel (Jay Wolfe Shop4Tanks), or plastic Tek Tanks. There are numerous threads on this site about replacing fuel tanks. Even replacing a tank is achievable by most practical DIY.
Paul

Hi David,
A lot depends on the condition of the tank, on how well it's been maintained, both externally and internally. The original steel tanks were solidly built, but localised corrosion can lead to leaks, which is bad news with diesel everywhere.
Is there any sign of water lying in the bottom of the locker and rust on the bottom of the tank?
If the diesel has had water build up and if it has not been cleaned out fairly regularly there is likely to be rust on the bottom on the inside. The most likely places for corrosion is either on the top (as you already know) or the bottom. Minor external surface rust could be treated. You could hammer test it to see if it sounds solid and pressure test it with a hydrostatic head of diesel up to the top of the filling line, but don't do that if there is any doubt as you don't want to be cleaning up diesel spillage.
Realistically, many Moody's of this age are likely to have been replaced with either stainless steel (Jay Wolfe Shop4Tanks), or plastic Tek Tanks. There are numerous threads on this site about replacing fuel tanks. Even replacing a tank is achievable by most practical DIY.
Paul
Many thanks Paul, really useful info.

Back