Moody 36 (90s) 36cc Headroom

Mike Whyte

Registered Guest
Hi there, seriously looking at a moody 36cc to purchase. My pal is 6ft 2in and cannot stand up properly in the galley of a 35cc.

Can any owner please give me galley and saloon headroom measurements. I have trawled the web but can only find references to cabin headroom.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Mike
Aberdeenshire
Mikewhyte2@aol.com

The "Moody 36 Design Principles" document states the following headroom figures:

Forward cabin:1.85 m / 6' 1"
Saloon forward:1.80 m / 5' 11"
Saloon aft:1.85 m / 6' 1"
Galley:1.85 m / 6' 1"
Passage cabin:1.75 m / 5' 9"
Aft cabin:1.74 m / 5' 8"

I have not checked the measurements myself, but I am 1.88m and touch the roof, so the figures seem about right.

The largest headroom is probably found in the forecabin below the hatch (hatch closed, of course).

Regards,
Ville,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. My pal (also a Mike) and I had a look at a 35, unfortunately her headroom was just a little bit too low (I’m 186) especially around the galley. We understand that the 36 is a few centimetres better overall. As you’re a bit taller than me are you comfortable are the saloon and galley?
Mike

Mike,
no long-time experience with the M36 yet, but at least the headroom did not prevent me from buying it. ;)
For about 20 years, I had a smaller boat with less headroom (maybe 180) and no trouble with that.
Yes, the M36 has a few centimeters more than the M35, but then I almost bought an M35 before settling with the M36.

So, what could I say - for the practical significance, it depends on a lot of things. Life on a boat is not as "static" as life in a flat/house, so I am more in a "tilt/dodge/squeeze mode" anyway.

Do you have previous sailing/boating experience?
If not, maybe you could charter some "slightly under-height" boat (probably doesn't even need to be a Moody) to get a feeling for this?

Alternatively, if "real full standing height" is high up on your wishlist, then you might want to increase your boat type search scope; every boat is a compromise and Moody didn't emphasize large cabin height (not fully sure about the 80ies models and the 40ft+ range).

Also note that this topic is somewhat related to bunk length.

Mike

I would echo Ville's comments about static measurements not always being the primary limitation. For example, I'm only average height (1.78m) and found initially that I was banging my head on the door frame when going into or out of the aft cabin. However, after only a couple of weeks the boat had apparently grown and I no longer banged my head! Do try out the aft bunk length before purchase, as this is possibly the most vital dimension of all onboard any boat!

Brett

Ville, Brett,
Thank you both for your advice.
Sailing experience - yes, mostly in (other Mike’s) Elan 434.
We‘ve pretty much got our hearts set on finding a Moody, it’s just finding the balance of the long list of compromises that our budget ensures. I‘m used to short bunks and cold feet but I’ve been told not to find any more excuses for avoiding the galley
Mike

Mike

Moodys may not be lightweight fliers, but they do have a kindly motion at sea and are easy to live on. We spent over 6 weeks on Skylark (in 2 spells) during our first year of ownership and found her to be very comfortable indeed. On first viewing the galley space may not appear huge compared to the latest generation of boats, but the central area behind the companionway steps makes a big difference in practice. We tend to eat on board most of the time and found no problems with food preparation and cooking space.
I'm sure you'll be happy with an M36!

Brett

The "Moody 36 Design Principles" document states the following headroom figures:

Forward cabin:1.85 m / 6' 1"
Saloon forward:1.80 m / 5' 11"
Saloon aft:1.85 m / 6' 1"
Galley:1.85 m / 6' 1"
Passage cabin:1.75 m / 5' 9"
Aft cabin:1.74 m / 5' 8"

I have not checked the measurements myself, but I am 1.88m and touch the roof, so the figures seem about right.

The largest headroom is probably found in the forecabin below the hatch (hatch closed, of course).

Regards,
Dear Ville, thank you for your post. Where can I find something similar for the Moody 346?

Hi Francescocarlo, I am afraid there is no such document for the M346.

But to give you a reference, the YM June 2017 "Used boat test" of the M346 stated:

"In the saloon there's 6ft headroom immediately beneath the companionway, tapering down to 5ft 8in at the forward end."

P.S.: May the forum moderator could move these two posts into a new thread "M346 headroom"?

Back