Moody 419 Adding a Swim Platform

Jeremy Hutchinson

Registered Guest
We're considering a 419 and one thing that boat doesn't have that other boats we're considering do have, is a sugar scoop to allow the kids easy access for swimming and make it easier for the dog to get on board. Has anyone added a swim platform of any kind to a 419. I imagine it would be possible (though possibly very expensive) to add a fiberglass scoop to the stern, but maybe just a stainless steel and teak platform with a ladder would be a better way to go. Or maybe it isn't a big deal and kids have fun no matter what (we've only chartered with the kids so far and all those boats had scoops)

If anyone has pictures to share so my wife can envision it would be much appreciated. Even better if any has an idea for ball park cost

Hi Jeremy, in France they have gone to town with many boats installing sugar scoops. Many of them look home made and poorly designed, but others are so well done they look like a proper part of the boat. I have no information on potential suppliers, but there are a many bespoke moulding firms here in the UK so there must be the same in France. I guess you are right though - they may be a bit pricy

Jeremy, My kids were happy without but they knew no other option. However if swimming directly from the folding down ladder do ensure that you have a line from the bottom and secured forward to keep the ladder fully folded down. If anchored in a bit of a tide the lower part can hinge back just enough so that fingers can get caught in the hinge.

If moored in a marina and you add a fixed platform/scoop then they will remeasure the boat and charge the extra length. What about a fold down platform? I have seen these very occasionally.

Good tip on the line to hold the ladder down! That's something we probably would have had to figure out the hard way.

Fold down platform is definitely an option. I was just curious what others had done or seen done.

Jeremy, an old picture of Crystelle Venture (a Moody 41, so externally the same as your 419) with the swim platform. It has a fold down ladder, which is in reality a passarelle but as it goes well under the water we use it as a ladder. It is ideal for climbing out of the water.

Yes, it has a line attached that allows it to be pulled down from the water.

it is stainless frame with teak slats.

platform.jpg

and another more recent

P1170263.jpg

Hi Jeremy,

If you would like a Moody 419 with a sugar scoop and bathing ladder, you might try looking for a Moody 422 or 425. These are the two models which succeeded the 41 and 419 and basically came out of the same mould except that the 422 and 425 were built with a sugar scoop and boarding ladder as part of the original hull, not an add-on.

To get an understanding of the various Moody models, see the Moody Archive:

I must confess to being a bit mystified by the varying LOA of the 4 models (41,419,422,425) quoted in the archive, I certainly don't understand how the 425 is 4" shorter than the 422, particularly as the words describing the change from 422 to 425 say "the transom was lengthened". Also the conversions to metric are far from precise (I believe they were designed in imperial units). Whatever, you can moor all of them claiming a length of 12.5m, unless it comes to a debate with the harbour which leads to them getting out a tape measure, when they will measure the pulpit as well, giving an answer of 13m for all 4 models.

Peter

Back