Moody Culvineer 500 Anyone own a Culveneer 500? Looking for tips before buying...

Hugh Simpson

Registered Guest
Hi all,

Looking at this yacht and keen to hear from other owners of this yacht (or others with similar build) on what the things we should really check before buying.

Thanks in advance

H

Hugh,
Seems the Moody Culveneer 500 may be a rare breed as I don't see one in the members listing and I believe only 5 were built..

Thanks Jeff. It appears so. I’ve only seen 2 for sale globally in the last year. That could be a blessing and a curse…

I wonder what design it is based off…. To me it sounds similar to a Moody 47?

The one I’m looking at is centre cockpit with aft cabin (centreline), port side heads (with nav desk in saloon, stbd side passage through galley, full beam saloon then two twin bunk cabins forward leading to a forward heads.

Thornycroft 140 62hp motor

Did have a bow thruster but not working

Thoughts?

Hi Hugh,
I had a quick look online to see what is available. I found one example which may be the one you are interested in. If the photos are recent she looks cared for. I prefer to avoid an ex charter boat as they tend to be well used and not as cared for as a private vessel.
I believe you are correct in that she is based on the M47/M471 but with a transom extension. In profile it does look as if 3ft has been stuck on the stern of an M47 and a little odd.
After more research I have found that maybe 31 were built.
An interesting difference between the one I found for sale and the standard rig is the position of the chainplate for the backstay. The standard position was on the transom but the one for sale has a through deck chainplate presumably attached to the lazarette forward bulkhead and between the 2 aft deck hatchs.
Shame that Moody did not provide a sugarscoop stern on this model.
Some years ago I was tempted to buy an M47/471 but having viewed a couple decided that they were too large for 2 to handle and purchased an M425 instead. However the 500 does seem ideal liveaboard boats.
You can't really tell the structural condition until a survey.
Hopefully she is ideal for you.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, thanks again.

I too am worried about the size as we will short hand from time to time too. I hope to liveaboard for a little bit (4-5 months a year) and in a couple of years do a circumnavigation with partner joining for the cruising leaving me and friends to do the ocean crossings.

I would prefer a 42/45, however the only one for sale in Europe that is any good is Australian flagged and not EU taxed. Although an Aussie and able to fly that flag, I live in Europe so would need to tax it eventually. That’s expensive and a waste. There was a 425 a couple of months ago but was in Turkey and I can’t get to at the moment.

Thanks again. I will review the 47’s top tips. So far the biggest issues I see are:
- replacing the bow truster (know any good electric ones?)
- renewing the Thornycroft T140 (or replacing it…maybe Yanmar?)
- renewing the electrical for lithium and more solar.
- inspecting and replacing keel bolts (if necessary)

Back