Moody 40 (late 90s early 00s) CE Rating plaque, sail area/displacement, stability info?

William Eurbin

Temporary Member
Looking at a Moody 40 (DIxon) and have a few questions. The CE plaque indicates its design category is "A", but then next to the CE stamp there is a B. What is the rating? I know I shouldn't be too concerned about this, more of curiosity. I have seen other plaques where there is a certificate number after the CE stamp, not a letter. This boat looks "A" to me, am I missing something?

Sailboat data (link below) shows a SA/D of 13 which puts this in the motorsailer category, it looks like this is because it uses a 100% Jib for the equation. Does anybody know what this number looks like with a 140%?.

Lastly, does anybody know the AVS for this boat? I am looking for a boat that is not all bluewater, but also not all modern production. I like the partial skeg, and stout fin, and somewhat flat bottom that put this boat right in that sweet spot of decent performance but can also take some abuse if necessary. It seems like flat bottom boats use form stability more than I like, and once past that unknown point stability drops fast. I doubt this is the case for this Moody, but does anybody have a chart?

Thanks in advance!

Moody CE rating.jpg

Hi William. The SA/D ratio is 16.33 for the regular fin keel based on the data in the Moody Archive which quotes a displacement of 23100 Ibs and sail area of 828 square feet. John

Back