Moody 31 MkII Chainplate deck plates

Tim Welsh

Registered Guest
Hello all,
Just joined at “learner” level!
Looking at a 31 mk2. I’ve r ead about the chainplate deck sealing plates, and will check for leaks. They don’t seem to have been sealed recently. What’s best to seal them with?(have used butyl tape in another boat)
Is it necessary too drill holes to check chainplates, if so where? (I’ve got a small endoscope too).
Fuel tank looks not too rusty, might paint it anyway (will it come out through the locker hole?).
Anything else I should check on the 31?
Very useful forum!
Thanks for help.
Tim

Tim, Yes butyl tape is ideal for sealing the chain plates including the baby stay. Undo the screws and lift the plate which will give you 1" of space to work in. There are also https://www.arbo.co.uk/products/mastic-sealants/arbomast-br

You will need drill into the two large cabinets to see the rear most pair of chain plates and they can be seen with a endoscope. Haven't done the forward pair of chain plates. Ours had two 6" squares cut in before we bought her which I was able to see the rear chain plates. Worth cutting a decent size hole because if you ever have to replace the heads loo pipes its useful to have access to the area above the large port side locker.

Last edited:
When I bought my Mk1 I thought fuel tank would be Ok with a repaint, but turned out bottom and back were a lot worse. Yes it did come out of the cockpit locker but very tight. Had a replica one made in SS and cheaper then a tech tank, but not much. Gave me great peace of mind. I would be concerned about what inside is like too and how much junk is at bottom. Diesel filler is not good design so can let water in. Replaced mine with a threaded one but bringing into the cockpit locker would be worth thought. Not sure how practical that is though.
Lots of threads on fitting inspection hatches in lockers to see the part bulkheads the chain plates are bolted to. Taking the internal lockers out is possible without doing damage but a right pain. It does mean you can really see the state of the ply if plates have been leaking for a while. Posts on that on here too. Sealing the chain plates needs to be redone every few years, butyl tape worked well for me. M31s very well constructed and I am very happy with mine. Mine is a bilge keel so she wont win any races but I dont find her slow. Had a M28 before so the M31 was a logical progression. I have a wheel steer but it does get in the way on a 31. Most were tiller I believe. But I like a wheel and value having engine control on the binnacle. My view, is very good boats indeed. Good luck with purchase if you go ahead. Obviously, get her surveyed.
Keith

When I bought my Mk1 I thought fuel tank would be Ok with a repaint, but turned out bottom and back were a lot worse. Yes it did come out of the cockpit locker but very tight. Had a replica one made in SS and cheaper then a tech tank, but not much. Gave me great peace of mind. I would be concerned about what inside is like too and how much junk is at bottom. Diesel filler is not good design so can let water in. Replaced mine with a threaded one but bringing into the cockpit locker would be worth thought. Not sure how practical that is though.
Lots of threads on fitting inspection hatches in lockers to see the part bulkheads the chain plates are bolted to. Taking the internal lockers out is possible without doing damage but a right pain. It does mean you can really see the state of the ply if plates have been leaking for a while. Posts on that on here too. Sealing the chain plates needs to be redone every few years, butyl tape worked well for me. M31s very well constructed and I am very happy with mine. Mine is a bilge keel so she wont win any races but I dont find her slow. Had a M28 before so the M31 was a logical progression. I have a wheel steer but it does get in the way on a 31. Most were tiller I believe. But I like a wheel and value having engine control on the binnacle. My view, is very good boats indeed. Good luck with purchase if you go ahead. Obviously, get her surveyed.
Keith
Many thanks.

Back