Moody 422/425 Engine replacement

Nick Clarke

Temporary Member
Hi MOA

I’m currently looking at buying a 425 and it needs an engine rebuild or replacement. It has the original Thorneycraft, so thinking replacing is the way forward. Can any member shed some light on a rough cost of doing this, what engine? I’ve been looking at Beta and they seem popular.

Any advice would be appreciated

Nick

Hi Nick,

We replaced the T98 in Wild Thyme about 5 years ago, but I prefer to forget the cost and enjoy the benefits - I'm away from home at present, so don't have access to the records but will be home on 10 May. We have been very pleased with the engine.

Whatever engine you buy, you will find you need more stuff. All modern marine engines rotate the opposite way from the Ford based Thornycroft, so a new prop is required. I believe that when you access the more difficult parts of a boat, it's worth addressing all the gear you have access to, so we stripped the engine room and replaced the bilge pump, the sound insulation, the raw water strainer and the exhaust waterlock. We cleaned out and repainted the engine bilge. Since we had access to the aft most keel nut (half inside a frame under the engine sump) and we were getting recurring rust along the hull/keel joint, we dropped the keel and remade the joint. Now no rust there when we haul out.

The other thing that can make a big difference is the amount of work you do yourself. If you get the old engine out and strip the engine room yourself, labour is much reduced and, in the UK at least, labour makes up a large part of the cost. We also found a second hand Brunton prop on the Internet, which Brunton refurbished at a very reasonable price, at least compared with the cost of a new one.

If you want me to dig out the cost of the engine + installation when I get home, let me know.

Peter.

Thank you Peter. The engine still works, but it’s 33 years old and a new power unit would give peace of mind as we intent to spend a couple of years living on it traveling around the med and possibly further afield. I guess I would like to know if I’m in for 10k, 15k or 20k. The boat is in the Mediterranean at the moment, so we could get it replaced somewhere where labour is less expensive. I’m capable of removing the old unit and all prep work, but expert installation is needed. I hope if we go ahead with the purchase and get it surveyed, he will pickup any issues with the keel etc.

Nick

Rather a long time ago but I changed my Thornycroft 108 for a Beta 60 in winter of 2009/2010. Quoted cost including VAT was just over £7000. I then drew up a split of the work load with me doing all the work for old engine removal and cleaning up engine bay.

Engine rotation same as Thornycroft but the slight increase in power did mean a small modification to the prop. I had earlier changed to a Kiwi with the knowledge that I would be changing the engine sometime so all it meant was changing the zytel blades for ones slightly larger which cost just a couple of hundred I think.

As Peter has said numerous other work was done at the same time. Change to PSS seal, new inlet water strainer, sound deadening, improved wiring, better alternator, fuel filter, etc. Cannot find final figure paid but do recall that doing much myself was well worthwhile,

Hey Nick,
I was lucky to find a mechanic with a lot of patience and supported by a strong fabrication shop.
My Thornycroft was fully operational and working great, however upon strong rev in port or at anchor I realized a small oil line coming out.
The mechanic I used took the engine out in pieces while in the water and rebuilt it completely. Since I am in the med as well where labor is not that expensive, I decided to revive the original engine and give it a huge refresh I don’t regret it and I am happy I was able to keep the original engine on with many more years in its life.
Having said that, if I was in any other country I would have went with a new engine.

Last edited:
Hey Nick,

We repowered our Moody 425 in 2021 in Greece.

We went with 10K Euro for a new Volvo penta + gearbox. (Not including labour).

Can agree with others that doing as much as you can yourself reduces costs, in the end though Covid made this harder for me than I had hoped.

Our experience was also that when purchasing and installing in Greece the Volva Penta was the best value and most viable option for us. The Beta, while a good engine, in a post Brexit world was more expensive and more hassle.

Happy to go into more detail for you if you wish.

Back