Moody 336 Hull performance 336

George Brockis

Registered Guest
Sold our little 27ft trapper 501 ,looking to upgrade to 33ft ish .
Wife likes the moodys ,i was erring towards dare i say a beneteau 331 or like ,as lighter and a bit liveler .
Happy wife happy life or so they say , ""does the moody 336 have a more slippery hull shape than the center cockpit variants"" ,which i understand can be a little over stately .
Not looking to win the fastnet race ,but want a medium degree of performance ,is the 336 a sportier choice than the center cockpits.
Whatever we choose it will have to be the bilge keel moody or lifting beneteau, not fin ,we love the ability to explore and drying out in out the way places , and will eventually want to travel the french canals to the med .

Kind Regards

George

The Moody 336 is a pretty good sailing boat. But you may have a wait to find a bilge keeler, they didn’t make many of them and they seldom come up for sale.

In no hurry ,happy to have a season off ,just looking and i have no maintenance this winter/season ,bliss :)!!
May consider a 346 , as you say not many 336 made with bilge ,
Are the hulls the same ,but with slightly different rigging ?

The 336 is an excellent sail - no slouch, but neither is the 346. We were regularly beaten by better sailors (Ken and Liz Dorey) in one!!

George, would a cheap S31 with bilge keels do?

In no hurry ,happy to have a season off ,just looking and i have no maintenance this winter/season ,bliss :)!!
May consider a 346 , as you say not many 336 made with bilge ,
Are the hulls the same ,but with slightly different rigging ?
The M336 and M346 are completely different boats, the 346 being the larger of the two and a centre cockpit design.

To get to know the different boats of the Moody range, see the Moody Archive which sets out the basic details:

Peter.

I have a BK 336 and wouldn't sell for all the tea in China!

If you can find one I would highly recommend. Accommodation is very generous for a yacht of just over 10m and i have not been disappointed with performance since I replaced the original 25yr old sails and fitted a feathering prop.

In pursuit races at last year I was starting after the Laser 28 in our club fleet. Not that I ever closed the gap but I like to think the rest of the fleet were just afraid of the competition from Capella!

George, would a cheap S31 with bilge keels do?

We looked at an S31 recently and i liked it but didnt feel the jump up in space is quite enough from our 27.6 ft and wife thought there was not much storage /cuboard space compared to our old trapper . not a major concern for me but we do have to listen ;) ,

Havent completly given up on the idea of a s31 , a lot cheaper than a 336 /343 its in the maybe pile ,
Earlier 31 look to have i think nicer interior ,and more cupboard space ?

The M336 and M346 are completely different boats, the 346 being the larger of the two and a centre cockpit design.

To get to know the different boats of the Moody range, see the Moody Archive which sets out the basic details:

Peter.
Hi Peter
appreciate the 346 is a center cockpit and 336 standard , was wondering were the hulls the same design or 336 had a more slippery underwater shape giving it a performance advantage .
Cant help but love the size of the rear bedroom on the 346 ,but the 336 has it on a more graceful elegant look .to me at least .
Looking back at prices from 3/ 4 years ago ,they seem all to have actually gone up in value ,dont know if that is due to covid and everybody wanting a uk holiday boat .

Hi George

No, as I wrote, completely different boats if you look on the archive I linked to you will see the 346 is a foot longer than the 336.

Second hand prices are up at the moment, probably driven by more people looking to spend holidays without travelling abroad. Those that do come on the market at sensible prices are also selling fast.

Peter.

Hi Peter
appreciate the 346 is a center cockpit and 336 standard , was wondering were the hulls the same design or 336 had a more slippery underwater shape giving it a performance advantage .
Cant help but love the size of the rear bedroom on the 346 ,but the 336 has it on a more graceful elegant look .to me at least .
Looking back at prices from 3/ 4 years ago ,they seem all to have actually gone up in value ,dont know if that is due to covid and everybody wanting a uk holiday boat .
George there are certainly a couple of test articles on this forum somewhere for the 336, cant remember if there are for the 346, and dont know if on temporary membership you have access. We almost bought a 31 Mk2 but that fell through, our decision towards the 336 was because they were generally slightly newer with the 336 built 1988 to 1996 (ours is 94) and the 346 was 1986 to 1990. Also my wife was keener on the aft cockpit design of the 336. Cant comment on the underwater shape or the racing performance of either.

Hi Peter
Before buying Capella I looked at a 346 and certainly the aft cabin was spacious once in there, but having banged my head quite hard twice on the way through the tiny bulkheads on route (I'm not tall by any standards) I decided it was not for me.

Hi Peter
My wife and I have a 336 mark2 1994 bilge keel version and are very pleased with the performance of the boat. She looks very elegant in the water and sails extremely well off the wind and also up wind. ( I used to race out and out racing boats in my twenties and thirties and I find the 336 MK2 is superbly balanced when hard on the wind . If the rig is set up correctly and the cars are well aft she is a surprisingly fast boat to windward with full sail . We have not sailed her in a gale yet but by all accounts provided you have reefed properly she is fine. I have had all the reefing lines brought back into the cockpit as we sail her just two up most of the time. When you see her out of the water its plain to see the potential from the underwater profile.
I believe there were about only twenty bilge keel 336 ever made so they are not that easy to find but if you can find one and want to explore areas that fin keel boats can't go buy it. I am not going to give you my speed statistics on our boat because the readers of this blog will not believe them. ( I didn't until I had them verified) Surfice to say we are more than satisfied with the performance and ( comfort )of the 336 MK2.

Back