Moody 376 Is this normal? A mast joint above the top spreader?

Bernardo van de Schepop

Temporary Member
Dear M376 owners.

I'm visiting one M376 on Monday and while investigating its ad I bumped into this unexpected joint. Any feedback is very welcome.

Cheers!

This is the ad: https://www.boat24.com/en/sailingboats/moody/moody-376/detail/549770/

IMG_2102.jpeg

Certainly not original. Therefore there will be a story.

Having said that if done correctly it can be completely sound.

Nothing to worry about, in my view.

Many boats have masts with riveted joints when the length of mast section required is not available in one continuous length.
So it is not an indication of a repair.

Last edited:
We had exactly the same on our previous boat which was a 1988 Moody 376.

P1030051.JPG

Nothing to be concerned about.

My 376 has a joined mast, as does the 376 on the hard nearby. I’d assume that the 376 had a joined mast from the factory. I’m the second owner of my 376 and I k ow for a fact the the original owner never lost the rig.

Bernardo, that looks like a rather nice Moody, particularly the interior woodwork. Interesting after market generator on the rear of the engine.

Pete

Hi Bernardo,

I'm afraid I must disagree with Andrew on this occasion as I believe the joint has most probably been there from new.

While surprising when you first see them, these joints are quite common from new in Kemp or Selden masts of that era. They might even be found in present day Selden masts, but I haven't bothered looking for them.

The mast is likely to be stronger at the joint than if there were no joint, the only downside being a marginally increased weight aloft due to the splicing piece inside the tube.

Peter.

Hi Bernardo,

I'm afraid I must disagree with Andrew on this occasion as I believe the joint has most probably been there from new.

While surprising when you first see them, these joints are quite common from new in Kemp or Selden masts of that era. They might even be found in present day Selden masts, but I haven't bothered looking for them.

The mast is likely to be stronger at the joint than if there were no joint, the only downside being a marginally increased weight aloft due to the splicing piece inside the tube.

Peter.
Cheers Pete.

Perfectly normal to have a join in the mast. Mast builders buy extrusions in a standard length - no idea what that is nowadays - and then use the full amount, joining as necessary. Some masts will have no join, others will. Properly done there is no loss of strength whatsoever

Back