TWILIGHT
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a Moody 31 Mk2. I've had an offer accepted and a survey booked for a few weeks.

The boat has 2 previous owners, the last for 6 years and the first since new (1987).

The first owner has modified the front cabin but cutting down the end of the starboard side wardrobe, removing the small vanity shelf and reversing the cabin door to open into the saloon. They have then built some sort of frame and extended the in-fill to cover the whole area thus making the bed a bit larger. It now comes to the door threshold (no floor space visible).

I've attached some screenshots out of a video. You can see where the cabinet/headboard (??) has been cut away on the starboard side.

My questions are:

- Is that wardrobe end structural? I'd say about 3 inches have been cut back. The boat was surveyed in 2015 and no mention of any issues.
- We would like to return to standard as the door opening out is wrong, gets in the way of the saloon, and my partner wants standing space to get into the forward berth. Would a joiner be able to rebuild the cabinetry or is this bonded into the GRP?
- Would you expect this to cause me resale issues?

The boat has so much going for it otherwise, and i don't know if i'm making a mountain out of a molehill!

Advice appreciate, i'll be joining if i go ahead!

Regards,
Adam

Attachments

• moody door.PNG
    moody door.PNG
    444.9 KB · Views: 214
  • moody cabinet.PNG
    moody cabinet.PNG
    1,020 KB · Views: 231
Adam, I don't think the end of the cupboard on the starboard side is structural and since they have only taken 3" away I wouldn't worry. A carpenter should be able to reverse this without too much trouble.

Pete

Thank you Pete, that's encouraging!

We're going ahead with the survey next week. The boat is a good price and hopefully will be a good project to improve and personalise.

Many thanks,
Adam

Great plan to personalise. We have take the stern cabin wardrobe out and installed a small freezer.

XYKJ6105 (1).JPG

Great - use the space in the way it works for you!

Another quick question, and again this may be for once the boat is purchased and i am signed up but what is the general concensus on the GRP water tank? The water system is original (manual pumped) and we will be looking to upgrade that. Is GRP safe to drink from? Are there cost effective replacements (not £1000+ TekTank).

Thanks,
Adam

Never had a problem with it, I run some sterilising solution through the system once a year, water tastes fine.
It does have a high turnover in the marina though as SWMBO still thinks she is at home.
A pressurised system and calorifier would be a good upgrade.
Wednesday's Child is a 1988 boat.
Mike

Adam, no problem with the tank and like Michael give it a dose of bleach each Spring. We did fit a water tight dinghy inspection hatch so I can see what is going on inside and clean the small "sand trap" that exists below the main fill pipe join. I also later fitted a tank sender gauge.

Pete

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 168
The tanks can be prone to osmosis, you'll know this if the water tastes funny.
I stripped mine last winter, ground the blisters out, filled and then painted with pigmented epoxy.
Took a week or so all in all, but a clean water source.
I also fitted inspection hatches, but I have had to use a sealant around the threads on the screw in lids as the lids are not water tight from inside to out.

Back