Boat name
NAN GILLEAN
Berth
Grimsby
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
UK and Europe
Please can anybody advise of any potential issues and weakness I should look for in a 1992 moody 38cc?
Boat looks in reasonable condition but upgrades definitely required. Of concern would be any common osmosis problems and issues from the original prima m50 engine.
Thanks in advance
Ash Arya

Hi!

The first thing is that any boat will require upgrades and repairs. It's a feature of boat ownership that something will always need to be fixed/upgraded. It's just part of the price of admission to a season of being afloat.

I've not heard of any Osmosis issues for the Moody boats. They are well made, solid boats that will look after you. There's nothing especially problematic with the hull or engines that I'm aware of other than all the usual stuff around making sure the maintenance has been done. If there's a log book see how the engine has been used, talk to the owner about what they've been doing and so on. It all helps to give a good picture of the boat.

If the engine has been well maintained there is no reason for it not continue giving many more years of service. However, just keep in mind that at some point an engine swap may be needed due to the age of the boat (although in my last boat a 50 year old Hustler 30 I had a Volvo 2003 that lasted 35 years before it needed a head overhaul and it's still carrying on today!). So whilst there will be that future outlay at some point for engine work she'll give you many more years of great service after the work has been done.

There's still plenty of spare engine parts available and there's a LOT of support out there for the M50 engine and Moody's.

For us we wanted a go anywhere capable cruiser that will be just as much at home sailing in the UK as it would in the med or crossing the atlantic. These boats will do that with east BUT looking after the boat, will be a big part of the experience. Upgrading the boat so we can do things more efficiently and safely is just part of the fun of sailing for us. Boat repairs are just the way things are with sailing regardless of the age of the boat.

I looked at lots of boats before I settled on an M38. The Moody 38 just ticked all the boxes for me. The only ones that came close to the quality of the M38 was the Hallberg Rassy 382/352. However, between the HR and the Moody only the Moody has the awesome aft cabin :) and this awesome Owners Association. The resources and knowledge here with these boats is superb... Very few used or even new boats have this size of support network.

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Andy

Hi Andy

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

I’ve placed a conditional offer on a 1992 model which Ive spent a reasonable time inspecting.

I agree with your comments and believe with some upgrades and elbow grease I’ll be able to bring her back to her former glory. The engine is old however was serviced recently and runs very smoothly.

The bones of the boat seem to be in order and as long as the hull survey is favourable I’ll go through with purchase.

I’ve already pencilled in an engine upgrade to a new 55hp Yanmar for later this year. Everything else seems to work ok from the bow thruster to the autopilot. Looks like she hasn’t moved from her berth for around 3 years so a good clean is on the cards.

I haven’t sailed on one yet but I believe I won’t be disappointed.

I’ll know more next week after the survey.

Thanks once again Andy

Kind regards

Ash

Back