Moody 41 Moody 41

Sacha Giannini

Registered Guest
Can anyone tell me info and general problems about the 1983 moody 41...keel bolts and nuts? if in mild steel or stainless steel ? and if provided by the construction shipyard moody a recommendation to replace the bolts after a certain number of years as someone told me, but i have some doubts? They are rusted from different years and now covered with a gray rustproof paint from the previous owner. We are interested in purchasing it but I am not well aware of the strengths and structural defects of the moddy 41 model (no 419) from 1983.
Another question:...why the height in the stern wc is only about 1.65 cm?!?...strange things for a important and nice and comfortable boat like this......Thanks
inbound320197946618431170.jpg

Sacha,
Moody yachts were built using mild steel keel bolts (actually studs).
The bolts rarely need replacing. However sometimes the nuts and plates rust due to a wet bilge and if bad are replaced.
The nuts, plates and bolts in your photo appear in excellent condition especially considering the age of the boat.

Thanks Jeff!... So, next week during my last visit before to decide the negotiation, i will clean the antitrust paint put on 4 years ago by the owner to see the real condition of the mild steel and if it is only surface rusty or depth. Other recommendations about this model moody 41 ?... Thanks

Sacha, I have a M41 of same vintage with one other previous owner. I confirm what Jeff has said. Keel studs are mild steel and yours look in excellent condition - no sign of the plates curling at the edges which could be a possible sign of rusted plates. I would leave well alone.
Concerning the aft heads, I don't understand where you get your figure of 1.65cm. Both forward and aft heads are mounted on a fibreglass plinth that is about 16cm high, so perhaps a missplaced decimal point. They both have an access hatch to enable you to get to the nuts that hold down the Jabsco heads I repositioned my forward heads outboard slightly with the pump on the inboard side to make it easier to use when on a port tack

Other points. The M41 had only one manual bilge pump but I see that you have 2 strum boxes. Interested to know where the other manual bilge pump might be located and its exit point. Excellent to see a good sized electric bilge pump.
I found that my cabin sole arrangement with the ready access hatch rather poor and re-did my entire cabin sole with modern striped boards also re-shaped the bottom part of the companionway steps. Sorry no pictures as boat now in West country and I have just got home for a bit.
Don't know what all the cables are but I would secure them to the fibreglass with cable ties. You appear to have an electrical connection in the bilge which is not ideal no matter how well insulated.

Hi Sacha,

Firstly, I agree with Jeff that your keel studs and nuts look to be in remarkably good condition. If there are no signs of trouble with the hull to keel joint, I would be disinclined to scrape the paint off, which would risk starting corrosion. It's quite possible that they have been replaced at some stage since she was built.

The M41is the first of a series of 4 models based on the same hull (except for the addition of a sugar scoop to later models) the M41. M419, M422 and M425 built over the decade from 1981 to 1991. I very much doubt she was no. 419 as only 53 Moody 41s were built, so I suspect the model number for her successor, the M419, has been confused with her yard no. somehow. You can find some details of all the models here:

When buying, you first need to recognise her age - at 39 years I would hope all of her electronic gear and her engine have been replaced, perhaps twice for the electronics, if not you should factor the need for replacement into your price. Equally, her third suit of sails should by now be time expired, if they are 10 or more years old, they also will need replacing sooner rather than later. Also remember that much, particularly electrics, may have been modified by previous owners, never assume that the boat is as it left the yard in 1983.

Other points to look at:
  • The chain plates (mounting points for the shrouds) are secured to marine ply bulkheads or part bulkheads below the decks. The slot in the deck through which the chainplates pass is sealed by a small stainless steel plate, held down by self tapping screws and the seal is made by some sealant beneath the plate. The sealant originally used tended to dry out and crack allowing water to get in - if that went unattended (not unlikely, as all is hidden behind the cabinets down below) the water can cause rot in the bulkhead seriously weakening the security of the chainplates. The Moody 41 also had another issue with one pair of chainplates - the chainplate position did not line up with a bulkhead below. to overcome this, the chainplate was cranked about 30mm below the deck and the means of fixing it to the bulkhead was not entirely adequate. Moody recommended a modification to overcome this issue which is available to MOA members on this site. The different layout down below on the 3 successor models overcame this problem as bulkheads (or part bulkheads) aligned with all the chainplates. so it was not necessary to crank any of them.
  • The carbon steel keel studs, nuts and backing plates issue which you already know about - plenty of advice for MOA members available on this site.
  • Cockpit teak on seats and sole. As built, this was teak veneered ply, which mostly started to fail at around 10 years of age. I would expect it has at some stage been replaced with solid teak or some other material. Solid teak is now very expensive so if it is in trouble you may consider replacing with one of the imitation teak products now available. The good ones look good and are far more durable than teak.
Otherwise, these are really well built boats. While no racers, they sail exceptionally well for cruising boats with a delightfully light helm and comfortable motion making them ideal long distance cruising boats.

I'm afraid I don't understand your question about height in the stern WC., perhaps a photo would help.

Peter.

hi peter, thanks for your answer....and about all your details about keel studs and chain plates and bulkhead, thanks. About the stern wc my question is if is normal that the height from floor to ceiling it is only about 170 cm as the height of the aft cabin. I knew the corridor was low but strange that they designed such minimal heights, especially in the stern bathroom where a person taller than 170 cm cannot stand (the vast majority of people).Also in your boat m41 the heights are similar ? thanks
....thanks also to micky barnes and jeff for the other answers....
ciao
sacha

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 227
  • 20211003_170245.jpg
    20211003_170245.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 214
  • ext 1.jpg
    ext 1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG-20220505-WA0043.jpg
    IMG-20220505-WA0043.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG-20220505-WA0044.jpg
    IMG-20220505-WA0044.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG-20220505-WA0052.jpg
    IMG-20220505-WA0052.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG-20220506-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20220506-WA0019.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 204
  • wc stern height.jpg
    wc stern height.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 218
Hi Sacha,

On Wild Thyme we certainly don't have such a problem - I am only 173 cm tall and I have plenty of clearance above my head both in the aft heads and in the passage cabin opposite. However, I do have to duck to get through the doorways. I haven't actually measured the headroom in either of those places.

If you look at the M41 and the M425 layouts on the Moody Archive I linked to on my previous post, you will see that the 425 has the heads much further forward, occupying the place where the cockpit locker is on the M41 - this position will have more height available between the hull and the underside of the cockpit seats. The 425 has no cockpit locker but a large locker right cross the stern instead. You will see this if you look at the two boats on the Moody archive I linked to above. Perhaps Micky can answer on the headroom in the heads on his M41.

Peter.

I can confirm I cannot fully stand in the aft heads. This is my wife's heads as she is 1.6m tall and can stand up in there!

Peter is correct, it is quite far aft, and the different deck layout between the M41 and M425 seems to allow standing height in the latter. There is almost standing headroom in the cockpit locker, it is quite cavernous. I can stand up in the fwd heads.

That looks like a nicely kept example. If you look on the electrical switchboard, if it is the original one it will have (for example) "D2 018" which is the yard number. I think these are sequential, so will give you an idea of where she lies in the sequence. Rather academic really, as each one has slightly different options and will undoubtedly have been upgraded/amended over the past nearly forty years.

Andrew.

Hi Sacha, did you bought the yacht at the end?

Back