Moody Eclipse 33 Moody Eclipse 33

Roy Harrison

Registered Guest
Hello

I am considering the purchase of a Moody Eclipse 33 for coastal / offshore cruising with friends and also potentially single handed. As a relatively novice skipper (day skipper, sailing with friends on their boats, dinghy sailing and flotilla holidays in the med as skipper), I would be interested in any views on ease of handling of this boat for someone with my experience?
I would also be interested in any Eclipse 33’s either, on the market currently, or, likely to be in the next six to 12 months? My preference would be a twin keeler as I will be based in a shallow berth (however muddy so a fin keeler would still be an option).
I would appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Roy

Roy, not an E33 but a M31 so slightly smaller and with bilge keels. Absolutely no problem single handing a Moody yacht of this size. Indeed I have sailed along the south coast and back for a fortnight single handed without issue. Some planning ahead and useful ideas make this all perfectly safe. An autopilot is essential in my opinion to steer the boat whilst you raise the sails or make a cup of tea. A short line on a mid ship cleat to tie off first when coming alongside a pontoon worth its weight in gold.

Along with a M33, don't overlook the S31 which is the next version after the M31 and now quite sensibly priced. Great stern cabin too. A late Moody 33 Mk 3 also worth a look with a low passage to the stern cabin and great heads/shower area.

Hopefully someone with an E33 will be along shortly, but one thing for sure, folk tend to keep hold of the smaller Moody's for a long time and bilge keels in popular demand.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
Welcome, Roy

I'd sailed on a variety of Bavarias from 36-40something and occasionally other craft (including the OYT 'big banana' James Cook) before aquiring my E33 and of them all find her the easiest to handle. She is mostly as specified, so no bow thruster, Volvo P2003 but with the useful addition of centre cleats attached to the gibsheet traveller tracks. These were not fitted as standard and as Pete said make life much easier.

Parking on pontoon and spinging off after is straightforward but made much easier with the centre cleats if you have them: the E33 is a beamy boat for her length so if you only have fore and aft cleats you'll find they are quite a way (3 feet for the bow cleat) from the pontoon. For single-handing I would think long lines to pull through from the cockpit would be essential, though I've never needed to try.
I've not tried because I don't think my marina permits owner additions but I suspect one of those dockline holders on the end of the finger would help coming alongside and stopping in your home port when single-handed a great deal.

Picking up a buoy is a bit more challenging as the E33 has quite high freeboard in order to provide the (excellent for the length) below deck accomodation. One of those clever click'n'release attachments for a boathook which leaves a clip and line on the buoy will help considerably, especially for single-handed sailing. Otherwise you need gorilla-length arms to reach a buoy from the foredeck (Lamlash taught me this).

The E33 is quite forgiving on the helm. I've not had problems with weather or lee helm, probably since the roller furling for the main allows for easy balancing of the sails. They cut through waves well with none of the slapping I've experienced in more flat-bottomed boats such as many of the Bavarias designed for the Med. The outer helm (on my MkI at least) drives the rudder through rigid bar couplings so there is little play and a lot of feedback so you know what the seas are doing. A tiller would give you more feedback (I learnt to sail on dinghys) but find the helm on the E33 the next best thing. (and with much less effort involved)

The autopilot is standard on the E33 and I'd be surprised if you could find one without. It can't cope with heavy seas (IMO) as the standard equipment is pushing the permited boat weight to the limit, but for sail adjustments and visits to the galley (or heads on the other side of the centreline) perfectly adequate.

I can't comment on drying out as I've never done it though my twin keel MkI would obviously let me if the occasion arises. I can confirm that the bathing ladder (or however you choose to call it) is of a decent length to board while aground, though you might need a box if you aren't as lanky as my 6'1" frame.

I'm not a great sailor and the boat is a much better boat than I am sailor so (IMO) your experience as stated should be fine. You haven't mentioned where you will be sailing but I've covered the northern Irish Sea, North Channel and the Clyde in my E33 (with friends of Day Skipper, med flotilla and similar experience) and based on experiences on other boats would have no qualms about taking her to the Outer Hebs (eastern coasts) and up the west coast of Scotland when the opportunity arises.

I have no formal qualifications beyond Comp Crew and Coastal Navigation (Theory) but do have a few thousand miles on the clock in the Irish Sea and west coast of Scotland. Single handed, I'd be looking for slightly more genteel waters to begin with for single-handing, though I have read somewhere on the internerd of circumnavigations in an E33.

They are great boats, as attested to by the high price they can command on the market, even for a 30+ year old boat, and as Pete said, they can be difficult to get hold of. I, for one, will not be exchanging mine for anything else, not even another Eclipse (38 or 43 - though if anyone has a 43 I could add to my 'fleet' let me know).

Apologies for any typos, (it is Christmas, after all)
Best wishes,
Paul

Paul
Many thanks for your comprehensive response particularly with it being the Christmas season. My experience is mostly in the Irish Sea and around the Inner Hebs and the Clyde although I have had a couple of weeks in the Solent hence my interest in the additional weather protection! Sounds like the E33 would be a good option for me although as you say they do seem to hold their value.
Happy New Year!
Roy

Back