Boat name
BLUE DREAM
Berth
Chiavari, Italy
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Mediterranean Sea
Good morning to all passionate sailors. My wife and I are looking for our (last) boat, the characteristics of the Moody Eclipse 33 are ideal for our future projects. I've seen a 1993 Eclipse 33 with the transom open - is this an original factory version or an owner's modification? Thank you all for an answer that I have not found anywhere. Best regards, Mauro

Hi Mauro, I'm pretty confident in saying that this would have been an owner's modification. A long time ago I also saw such an arrangement and thought it would be a very useful adaption. The biggest problem with doing so to my mind is the backstay: it would need to be converted into a split backstay with new mounts either side of the aperture or extended to a new fitting underneath the aperture, requiring you to squeeze around it.
My fear for the split backstay option is that it would put loads on the hull in places not originally planned for which could have unforseen consequences for structural integrity down the line. Extending the stay to a new fitting at deck level would seem the better option, but I don't know whether the layup of the hull at that point would be suitable. Perhaps a backing panel of some size bonded to the inside of the hull and then glassed in would spread the load sufficiently. I feel an expert consultation would be needed before going ahead with such a project.
Best wishes,
Paul

Many thanks Paul, the boat in question belongs to a member of MOA, until recently I wasn't registered yet and didn't know it. Now I'm going to ask the owner directly because I too don't really like the structural changes made outside the original project (they can be designed and done well, or not...). Thanks so much for the feedback. I hope to soon find the Eclipse 33 that suits us, then I will be a happy member of MOA and of the great family of Moody yacht owners. Fair winds

Back